It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:07

Chestnut bowl.

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Chestnut bowl.

Postby Andyp » 30 Apr 2015, 10:17

In chestnut. 6" Diameter.
Very pleased with the flat bottom that was achieved with the help of Axi button jaws which, incidentally, create one helluva draft when spinning.

I am still learning so any comments, good or bad, can only help.

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Chestnut bowl.

Postby chataigner » 30 Apr 2015, 20:13

Nice bowl Andy !
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Andyp » 01 May 2015, 08:16

Thanks David.

Have you fired up you lathe yet?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 05 May 2015, 16:31

Got back from a rally last night so I am catching up very slowly on all the posts I have missed.

Nice looking bowl and a good job on the base. Two maybe three things that stand out that I can see,
1 At the top burnt line there is a angular change in the bowl would like to have seen a nice flowing curve.
2 Between the two burnt lines it looks like you have a tool mark running around.
3 Not sure if it is the camera angle but the inner looks very shallow compared to the overall outer shape, if this is the case I would have liked to see it follow the outer curves.

Other than these a good shape and finish.

Hope this is not too harsh but if you are like me then any good bad or otherwise comments are gratefully received
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 May 2015, 17:08

Dalboy wrote:Got back from a rally last night so I am catching up very slowly on all the posts I have missed.

Nice looking bowl and a good job on the base. Two maybe three things that stand out that I can see,
1 At the top burnt line there is a angular change in the bowl would like to have seen a nice flowing curve.
2 Between the two burnt lines it looks like you have a tool mark running around.
3 Not sure if it is the camera angle but the inner looks very shallow compared to the overall outer shape, if this is the case I would have liked to see it follow the outer curves.

Other than these a good shape and finish.

Hope this is not too harsh but if you are like me then any good bad or otherwise comments are gratefully received

Not at all harsh and thanks for the comments.

1) Believe it of not the shape at the top was deliberate and intentional.

2) I noticed that mark too and it was in fact a bit of unpolished wax. With the piece held in the button jaws I was concerned about getting too close to the buttons when polishing.

3) Just measured it overall height 5.7cm. Inside 4.5cm. Wall thickness could well be less.

I was thinking about entering it in the UKW comp. But perhaps not.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 05 May 2015, 17:27

Andyp wrote:
1) Believe it of not the shape at the top was deliberate and intentional.

2) I noticed that mark too and it was in fact a bit of unpolished wax. With the piece held in the button jaws I was concerned about getting too close to the buttons when polishing.

3) Just measured it overall height 5.7cm. Inside 4.5cm. Wall thickness could well be less.

I was thinking about entering it in the UKW comp. But perhaps not.

Understood about the deliberate design it's great that we all see things a little different.

As for the polish I presume you did it on the lathe, I have the Chestnut buffing system and found a great improvement in the finish I get.
I did wonder as I said it could be the angle with reference to the inside.

I must confess not even thought about the comp yet been a bit busy
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)