It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:25

Lifes a Beech bowl

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Lifes a Beech bowl

Postby Dalboy » 22 May 2015, 18:14

What with the veg patch and garden then laid up for three days then tidying and cutting blanks, I have not had much shed time so thought I had better go turn something before I forget how.
This is the result very punky in places so plenty of soaking with sealer but got there in the end finished using the chestnut buffing system.

5" X 2 3/4" finished size I took a photo all around to show the spalting

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Lifes a Beech bowl

Postby Andyp » 23 May 2015, 07:46

Very nice indeed.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 23 May 2015, 08:02

With my experience of using spalted timber, I suspect that was like trying to turn a sponge.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rob » 23 May 2015, 10:08

spalting is a bit of a pig to work with depending on how far along the "punky" spectrum it's got.

If it's full on "Sex Pistols" then you're in trouble but if it's more your Clash and maybe Elvis Costello it's not so bad. Of course if it is the Pistols then it may be completely Johnny Rotten!
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby chataigner » 23 May 2015, 13:17

Like that a lot !

:text-bravo:
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Mike G » 23 May 2015, 14:01

Just a thought on the subject of working with spalted wood....... The spalting is due to the presence of fungi. The spores of the fungi are released during the process of working the wood. If breathed in, they can actually find a rather pleasant habitat inside human lungs, and can grow large and dangerous colonies with significant health consequences. I'm sure everyone here is aware of this, and I know turners have some great masks & breathing kit, but just in case anyone from outside the forum happens upon this thread.........just be damned careful!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 23 May 2015, 16:14

Thank you guys.

Mike G wrote:With my experience of using spalted timber, I suspect that was like trying to turn a sponge.[/quote

Not to bad turning once I had sealer the softer wood

Mike G wrote:Just a thought on the subject of working with spalted wood....... The spalting is due to the presence of fungi. The spores of the fungi are released during the process of working the wood. If breathed in, they can actually find a rather pleasant habitat inside human lungs, and can grow large and dangerous colonies with significant health consequences. I'm sure everyone here is aware of this, and I know turners have some great masks & breathing kit, but just in case anyone from outside the forum happens upon this thread.........just be damned careful!
]

If properly dry the spores are then dead. But having said that still not good to breath them in and as you say any work with spalted work need a good respirator even if you have an extractor system
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Jun 2015, 14:28

Very nice. I love the effect spalting gives, really nice.

:text-+1: for the health effects too, must be extremely careful.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)