It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:59

Sycamore (spalted) bowl

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Sycamore (spalted) bowl

Postby Andyp » 28 May 2015, 18:48

I think that this is sycamore. It was given to me such a long time (more than 10 years) ago as a couple of large logs that I may be wrong.

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Sycamore (spalted) bowl

Postby DaveL » 28 May 2015, 19:45

Andy,

I think that you are right, it looks like sycamore to me. Nice finish, but shape looks bit odd to my eye.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 29 May 2015, 09:07

Dave, I agree about the shape. The blank was a bit weird to start with and I thought I'd try and remove as little wood as possible. I am happy to admit that at the moment the pieces I produce are more about learning how to use the tools then artistic masterpieces.
I have also long since realised that I do not have a good artistic eye.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rob » 29 May 2015, 11:19

don't worry about that Andy...you're doing great, really good. Your finishing is very advanced for your time served and the shapes will come in time, its a perfectly natural progression. That's a lovely bit of figure you have in the bowl too. Keep sticking 'em on the chuck mate and the tool control will come and once that's where you want it, start spending more time studying form and the more pleasing aesthetics will leap out at you. But it's very like driving, you have learn to steer, pedals and gear stick before you can sing along to the radio while eating sandwiches! So it is with turning, practice is key.

If I were at club night and judging your bowl for real I would say the following:

1/ Excellent finish, little evidence of tool marks and a great lustre
2/ Pretty good final wall thickness, you haven't wimped out of going close to the edge which is a common mistake leaving bowls with a half inch thick wall
3/ Great choice of wood
4/Little more attention needed on the external shape....try to keep in mind the notion of the "fair curve"
5/ The base of the bowl. The ideal is for the bowl to gently taper into the table leaving a shadow line. Your flat bottom leaves an abrupt "shock" in the transition from bowl to table. Maybe experiment with a curve from a third way down the wall all the way to the centre of the base to achieve that more elegant transition.
6/ Ruddy good effort though and one I would happily display as another step on the journey.

Keep 'em coming mate, its lovely to see :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 May 2015, 11:34

Thanks Rob,

Getting rid of tool marks seems to be just a matter of patience and abrasive. Finish is just sealer and carnuba wax.

All other points noted.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Jun 2015, 14:01

Another good progression in your practice Andy.

I can't wait to get my shop tidied so I can practice a bit on the lathe while the new shop is being built. I just even get round to finishing the acorn finials for my little girl's bed (which are only 4 years in the waiting… :eusa-whistle:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dalboy » 15 Jun 2015, 10:08

I thought that I had commented on your bowl.
Anyway nicely turned and finished but I have to agree about the outer shape it just does not look right, I know that when you get a nice piece of wood the reluctance to turn away what may be a good looking grain pattern but you just have to take the bull by the horns and turn it to make a smoother flowing form also you never know what else you may uncover it could be even better
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Jun 2015, 07:42

Thanks Dalboy. You are right of course.

Bit short of workshop time at the moment with chores in the garden so I have only been practising on the smaller stuff. Will get back to the bowls soon.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)