It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:21

Axminster corkscrew kit

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Axminster corkscrew kit

Postby Andyp » 29 May 2015, 18:42

Axminster corkscrew kit.

What am I missing? How am I supposed to turn the ends of the wood to accept the thread on the inside of the end caps?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Axminster corkscrew kit

Postby 9fingers » 29 May 2015, 18:48

Cut it with a die? Dunno? That is what an engineer would do but as axi describe it as a beginners kit then maybe not.
Press it onto an interference fit section on the handle backed up with glue?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dalboy » 29 May 2015, 19:02

I have made 2 or 3 of those and the two caps I have turned so they are just tight enough to screw on by hand then remove and add just enough glue so not to squeeze out and ruin the finish. After all there is no pressure on them
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 May 2015, 20:06

Thanks, I think you are both right. Not had a chance to finish one yet but I've turned small spigots on both ends with a very slight taper. Will see tomorrow if I have the diameter right. I've bought a few sets of corkscrew, bottle opener and stopper and at the moment I am just working out the process for each.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 30 May 2015, 10:49

How does the corkscrew part fit into the wood, the threaded section - does it self-cut a suitable sized hole?
These screws look pretty but not the best design for opening bottles - you need ones that push against the bottle in some way.

My favourite is the red plastic "Screwpull" though this is supposed to come from a piece of the "Victory"??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 May 2015, 15:09

Rod, I agree. My preference and go to corkscrew is a lever action like the one top of your image. Difficult to find kits for those though :cry:

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 30 May 2015, 15:15

I've finished my process testing and now know how I want to make these.

None of these has been glued and all three will be scrapped and made with nicer wood.

I've learnt a few things on the way.

1) Turning bowls is easier as there is little of no tolerance required. The outside diameter where the metal bits fix is critical. And the corkscrew must in the centre of two equal halves.
2) I need at least two dividers/callipers and of a better quality than the one I have.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rob » 30 May 2015, 15:20

That's part of the joy of turning though Andy...the variety. The finer tolerance stuff is actually really rewarding when you take the time and trouble to "sneak up" on the fit. I would suggest you try a lidded box that has a "pop" fit to hone your tolerance turning. Excellent project which also develops end grain hollowing skills.
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 30 May 2015, 17:32

Rob wrote:That's part of the joy of turning though Andy...the variety. The finer tolerance stuff is actually really rewarding when you take the time and trouble to "sneak up" on the fit. I would suggest you try a lidded box that has a "pop" fit to hone your tolerance turning. Excellent project which also develops end grain hollowing skills.

I totally agree the same applies to pens as a bad fit can stick out like a sore thumb. The other advantage of making things like these is you can use odd bits of wood up like I have.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)