It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:44

Fruit bowl in chestnut

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Fruit bowl in chestnut

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2015, 14:27

Despite the different colours in the 1st photo it is the same bowl. Struggling to take better photos at the moment.

First one I've turned at this size and nearly the maximum for the lathe. Finished with sealer and carnuba wax.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Fruit bowl in chestnut

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jun 2015, 14:48

Looks nice that Andy.

My only comment, other than i like it, would be maybe take the foot down even smaller so you don't see so much of a gap between the bottom of the bowl and the table. But I like the overall shape and size. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Robert » 18 Jun 2015, 16:00

Doesn't a small foot on a bowl that diameter make it a bit unstable if too many apples are over one side?

As to the colour variation it is down to the background colour and your camera trying to expose the picture as if all the scene was grey. If you use an editor and change the exposure levels you can get the wood looking similar in all. Different lighting will cause variation too - all flash or daylight / flash mixture etc. That can be fixed by playing with the white balance in an editor. A piece of white card in each picture (that can be cropped out of the final picture) will let you pick the white surface for white balance in editors like photoshop and lightroom.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2015, 16:46

Mark and Robert,
I would have liked to remove the foot altogether but the bowl is too big for the 250mm Axi button jaws. I will investigate other options for removing the foot.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jun 2015, 17:25

Andyp wrote:Mark and Robert,
I would have liked to remove the foot altogether but the bowl is too big for the 250mm Axi button jaws. I will investigate other options for removing the foot.

After I wrote that I thought that might be the reason you fact it. :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2015, 17:37

TrimTheKing wrote:
Andyp wrote:Mark and Robert,

After I wrote that I thought that might be the reason you fact it. :)

Cheers
Mark

Mark, I think I understand that :D .

The best solution so far is a new lathe with a swivel headstock and to fabricate some extension arms for the button jaws. Chances of me getting budgetary approval is slim :cry:

In my defence I borrowed the dimensions and design from Keith Rowley's Intro to Woodturning. So the foot will have to stay for now.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2015, 17:39

Robert, thanks for the imagery tips I'll have to have another play. Problem now is the kids have just eaten the fruit!

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 18 Jun 2015, 17:43

A nice looking bowl well turned and finished. I agree about the foot and also understand why you left it on there. How about making a doughnut chuck for reversing the larger pieces.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rob » 18 Jun 2015, 17:54

Or a large disc of MDF with some router mat stuck on. Reverse the bowl and bring up the tail stock to friction fit the bowl rim to the router mat then go very very slowly with an extremely sharp gouge and take very light cuts. You'll obviously need to leave a little stub but you can remove that by hand afterwards
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 18 Jun 2015, 19:58

Jeez, you spinney people! I don't know....... :D

Turn the bowl upside down on your bench, with a bit of non-slip stuff, and some bench dog stop thingies. Grab your belt sander, turn on, and apply to the stickie-uppie bit that you want lower. When it is the right height, turn your belt sander off.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2015, 20:15

Dalboy wrote:A nice looking bowl well turned and finished. I agree about the foot and also understand why you left it on there. How about making a doughnut chuck for reversing the larger pieces.

Yes, probably the best solution. I'll have to have a think about how to best make one. Plenty of info out there.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2015, 20:16

Rob wrote:Or a large disc of MDF with some router mat stuck on. Reverse the bowl and bring up the tail stock to friction fit the bowl rim to the router mat then go very very slowly with an extremely sharp gouge and take very light cuts. You'll obviously need to leave a little stub but you can remove that by hand afterwards

I've tried that before with limited success. May well have to try again before the doughnut chuck but I am petrified already about screwing up, what is at the moment, a very nice finish.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2015, 20:20

Mike G wrote:Jeez, you spinney people! I don't know....... :D

Turn the bowl upside down on your bench, with a bit of non-slip stuff, and some bench dog stop thingies. Grab your belt sander, turn on, and apply to the stickie-uppie bit that you want lower. When it is the right height, turn your belt sander off.

I know that is the most obvious solution but trying to match the quality of the existing finish would be impossible unless the bowl is spinning.

I do which you guys would guys would support me and agree that buying a bigger lathe is the real solution. The missus might just listen to you lot.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 18 Jun 2015, 20:24

BUY a lathe, did you say? :eusa-naughty: :eusa-naughty: :eusa-hand: If you need a lathe, a pole lathe is cheap, simple and quick to make.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 18 Jun 2015, 20:24

Andyp wrote:
Mike G wrote:Jeez, you spinney people! I don't know....... :D

I know that is the most obvious solution but trying to match the quality of the existing finish would be impossible unless the bowl is spinning.

I do which you guys would guys would support me and agree that buying a bigger lathe is the real solution. The missus might just listen to you lot.

OK now listen missus Andy he need a bigger lathe. Has that helped Andy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jun 2015, 20:49

To paraphrase Jaws (Roy Scheider I think…), 'You're gonna need a bigger lathe!'

:lol:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby DaveL » 18 Jun 2015, 21:23

A very nice bowl. I have used a disc of mdf with a rubber mat, I found it worked best if I left a centre dimple on the tenon, it makes it much easy to get it running true.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Robert » 18 Jun 2015, 22:38

I don't do turning very much. The couple of bowls I did make involved turning the exterior then making a dovetail cut out in the base and expanding the wedge shaped jaws of the chuck attachments into the dovetail pocket to then turn the inside. I'm guessing this is something cleverer but my way did give a flat and wide (slightly hollow) base.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rob » 18 Jun 2015, 22:52

That's a common method, often called a dovetailed recess. What Andy has done is the exact opposite, also a common method with scroll chucks which is a tenon upon which the chuck jaws compress.

One advantage with a recess is if you're careful it can be left unfinished as a deliberate foot of the bowl. However, strictly speaking, it's almost always good turning practice to reverse mount the bowl and "finish" the bottom with as much care as any other component of its finish. In turning competitions close attention is always paid to the bottom of bowls to check they have been turned. Not such a biggy for pieces for the public but it does give the best quality finish.

One downside of using a recess is the jaws tend to mark the wood and if oak, the metal often reacts with the tannins leaving nasty black stains in four places round the inside of the recess. The chuck jaws can also split the foot of a thin walled bowl if you're not careful due to the forces being exerted. So a tenon is considered safer generally, but it does mean you can't "get away" without reverse turning the foot in the main.
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Jun 2015, 07:38

Rob, thanks for the fuller explanation. Much better put than I ever could.

I've tried the recessed method a couple of times and split the bowl :oops: So I am sticking with the tenon for now. With the button jaws it is a doddle to reverse chuck, centre and then remove the tenon. Just need a bigger one. ;)

I have been thinking about the doughnut chuck. How do you insure the piece is centred before you squeeze the two halves together?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 19 Jun 2015, 11:37

Andyp wrote:Rob, thanks for the fuller explanation. Much better put than I ever could.

I've tried the recessed method a couple of times and split the bowl :oops: So I am sticking with the tenon for now. With the button jaws it is a doddle to reverse chuck, centre and then remove the tenon. Just need a bigger one. ;)

I have been thinking about the doughnut chuck. How do you insure the piece is centred before you squeeze the two halves together?

When making the doughnut chuck make a number of circles on the back plate say about 1/2" apart this will act as a guide also when turning the chucking point on the bowl make a centre mark bring the tailstock up and use that to centre the bowl before tightening the chuck onto the bowl. Don't forget some sort of material to protect the bowl from the chuck.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 19 Jun 2015, 11:53

A couple of things to read.

Doughnut Chuck 1

Reverse chucking
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Jun 2015, 13:43

Dalboy wrote:When making the doughnut chuck make a number of circles on the back plate say about 1/2" apart
Done!
Dalboy wrote:also when turning the chucking point on the bowl make a centre mark
Ooops Too Late :D

Dalboy wrote: Don't forget some sort of material to protect the bowl from the chuck.
Noted

I've made the back plate and have just stopped about 1 ply short of cutting the hole in the front plate. I chickened out of forcing the gauge right through as I could not envisage what would happen next. Will have to wait until the weekend now to finish.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 19 Jun 2015, 13:46

Dalboy wrote:A couple of things to read.

Doughnut Chuck 1

Reverse chucking

Thanks for those references. I have already made a start along the lines of the first link. Unfortunately I only had 2 pieces of suitable ply large enough so I can only make one front plate. I think it would be useful to have a few with varying sizes of holes in the middle.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 01 Jul 2015, 10:07

Well I decided to go with the doughnut chuck method. I made it as large as I could so large in fact that it will ony spin on the lathe if the wing nuts are in the right direction.

And the new improved base

I am still struggling to get a decent image of the profile

Very chuffed. 4th place (only 1 behind dalboy) in the UKW competition, out of 14 entries.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Next

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)