It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:18

Goblet Competition Piece

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Goblet Competition Piece

Postby Dalboy » 27 Sep 2015, 12:11

As some know I take part in a friendly competition on another site, so I was not able to post this when I had completed it but now it is posted on the other site I can. This is my entry into that competition.

The goblet stands 7 1/2" tall and 3" at its widest made from three different woods, Ash for the main goblet the stem, two black rings the foot ring and the ball are all holly the rest is Sapele. There are 8 separate parts on this goblet
The rings are stained black and the ball is also stained black and then given a coat of Jo-Sonja blue paint.
Tools used 3/4" roughing gauge, bowl gauge spindle gauge and skew. Sanded down to 600grit and sealed and top coat Acrylic spray varnish.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Goblet Competition Piece

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Sep 2015, 12:15

Wow! Beautiful Dal, you're a talented man and no mistaking!

Good luck in the comp.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby DaveL » 27 Sep 2015, 12:26

TrimTheKing wrote:Wow! Beautiful Dal, you're a talented man and no mistaking!

Good luck in the comp.

Cheers
Mark

+1 very nice
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 27 Sep 2015, 13:09

Yeah, very nice indeed. I kind of want to know how to put a piece like that together but then I know that at the moment it is way out of my league.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 27 Sep 2015, 13:19

Thank you guys. This was great fun making it.

Andyp wrote:Yeah, very nice indeed. I kind of want to know how to put a piece like that together but then I know that at the moment it is way out of my league.

Not out of you league Andy once you have a design just take it one step at a time. Treat each piece an a individual turning the only thing that is needed is to pay attention to the sizes of each adjacent part.

With this one I started with the stem first then the two black rings making sure that they protruded just the right amount to the stem. Each piece form there is done exactly the same.

Have a go it is great fun and give you practice with the tools. One big bonus if you mess up one dection it is only a little piece and not the whole thing that needs returning. ;)

Nearly forgot each piece except the bowl are held together with little turned mortice and tenons.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Sep 2015, 13:23

Derek, thanks but I know my limitations and will try and perfect some simpler designs before I try that out. Filed away though.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 27 Sep 2015, 13:32

Andyp wrote:Derek, thanks but I know my limitations and will try and perfect some simpler designs before I try that out. Filed away though.

I will ask a question of you
"can you turn beads and coves as well as make a bowl" if the answer is yes then each part is all that is involved just add them together ;) ;) ;)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 27 Sep 2015, 15:57

Very nice Derek, wondered how they were joined.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 27 Sep 2015, 17:30

Dalboy wrote:
Andyp wrote:Derek, thanks but I know my limitations and will try and perfect some simpler designs before I try that out. Filed away though.

I will ask a question of you
"can you turn beads and coves as well as make a bowl" if the answer is yes then each part is all that is involved just add them together ;) ;) ;)

Ok Derek but Phil has asked the question that has also been bothering me. How and when in the process do you glue the bowl to the stem and the stem to the foot? And those black rings. Are they glued prior to applying the finish. And the piercing work? Oh and is the ring on the foot loose?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 27 Sep 2015, 18:05

All the parts are glued once they are completely turned. As I said earlier the stem was the first to be turned this had a tenon on the bottom end and a mortice on the top the two ring are just that with a hole in the centre to fit the tenons. The foot can then be turned with a mortice and a groove to accept the decorative ring, next the ring is made. Moving back up to the top of the stem the bowl for the ball is turned with a tenon to fit the mortice in the stem top and it was marked out and pierced and the ball also turned this was just stuck in without any tenon but after the colouring of it. The bowl being the last to be turned and reversed to remove any chucking point as well as to put a groove around it to accept the top of the pierced bowl.

All the parts are turned and sanded to a good finish in my case 600 grit while they were still on the lathe and any colouring also done.

All that is left to do is glue all the parts together and I used a spray finish because of the cage part.

Hope that all makes sense it is a lot easier than people think. Just good tool control and making sure all the parts have a good fit to the next.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Sep 2015, 08:40

Derek

As others have said you are a clever chap :eusa-clap:

I had a question on the use of Holly. I have heard mention of staining Holly very dark before, but it is not clear to me why Holly (a pale wood) is a good choice to stain dark. Any chance you could help fill one of the almost endless list of gaps in my woodworking knowledge?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Rod » 28 Sep 2015, 08:55

Lovely piece I really like it.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 30 Sep 2015, 21:04

The results are in and I am pleased to say that this got a joint first.

Wizard9999 wrote:Derek

As others have said you are a clever chap :eusa-clap:

I had a question on the use of Holly. I have heard mention of staining Holly very dark before, but it is not clear to me why Holly (a pale wood) is a good choice to stain dark. Any chance you could help fill one of the almost endless list of gaps in my woodworking knowledge?

Terry.

Sorry for not answering sooner I use holly as most of the bits I want to stain have crisp detail as well as having a uniform colour to start with which I find ideal for staining especially if I want to use other colours
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)