It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:33

Potpourri

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Potpourri

Postby Phil » 02 Oct 2015, 09:15

This an old project, but not posted.

Cheers
Phil

Some friends cut a limb off their Jacaranda tree and it was nice and dry by the time I got hold of it.

I had bought the pewter Potpourri top at a woodworking show (long time ago) and was not sure what to do with it until I remembered the Jacaranda lying under the lathe

Drew up a plan and cut off a piece on the RAS

Did the final measurements before moving onto the lathe

The blank is turned and ready for sanding on the lathe.
First some hand sanding with the grain starting at 180grit and moving up till all the marks have been sanded away.
Final sanding with 300grit

Doing the final checks to see that the top fits and where the holes need to be drilled for the studs that hold it in place
I used a 50mm Forstner bit to drill out the inside where the Potpourri goes into.

The finish is a couple of coats of Danish oil on the outside only with some 300grit sanding and a final 0000 steel wool rub.

{Edit - fixed a foto link}
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Potpourri

Postby Dalboy » 04 Oct 2015, 10:42

Hi Phil I have been looking at your pot for a while I must say not the shape I personally would have gone for but looks well turned and finished.

You say you drilled three holes for the little studs with these I don't drill the holes for them I make the main hole large enough for them to just sit into the lip so the lid does not slide off.

Hope you don't mind me saying the above but not sure how much feed back you would want.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 04 Oct 2015, 15:48

Derek, all comments are welcome, only way one learns.

The reason for the three pin holes - the biggest Forstner in my collection is 50mm, which then left quite a wide rim for the lid. Don't have a chuck to enable hollowing out.

The pics don't do justice to the Jacaranda and its varying shades.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Dalboy » 04 Oct 2015, 21:06

Have you got a face plate and a hot melt glue gun. If so screw a flat piece of wood to the face plate and then hot glue the item to turn to the scrap piece turn the outside and the inside then part off if you have glued an slightly extra long piece the stump left can be turned into a jam chuck and the bottom cleaned up.

Hope that makes sense
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 05 Oct 2015, 07:58

Yes, that makes sense, thanks.

When I get to the workshop (at the moment it is a mission to do anything as I have one foot in a moon-shoe), I will give it a try.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby DaveL » 05 Oct 2015, 14:29

Phil,
What is the thread on the headstock of your lathe?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Phil » 06 Oct 2015, 09:06

DaveL wrote:Phil,
What is the thread on the headstock of your lathe?

Dave, that was my old lathe and the thread was some Merican inches.
It did have two faceplates, one in and one out. I did use the inner one when sanding the top of a round chair just as a stabiliser.

The new lathe is the baby JET which has a 'smallish' faceplate.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)