It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:33

Small pot from a failed Goblet

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Small pot from a failed Goblet

Postby Dalboy » 06 Oct 2015, 20:22

As the title I started to make a natural edged goblet. Well I managed to damage the rim of the goblet part so I parted it off and turned the piece around and made this pot as I liked the grain in the log. I still have another 4ft of it left so will try again.

Anyway onto the pot from the good half of this piece, it measures 3 1/2" tall and 3" across. As stated wood unknown

C & C welcome

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Small pot from a failed Goblet

Postby Rob » 06 Oct 2015, 20:30

Lovely Derek. A real organic feel to it. The wood reminds me of an oak tree that had been down for 30 years I have some of. Reliably informed it's called brown oak after a fungus that invades it when it's been down that long. The other thing it's reminiscent of a bit is chestnut. Certainly wouldn't like to bet on either though??
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby DaveL » 06 Oct 2015, 20:53

Oh nice save, well done.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Oct 2015, 00:01

Very nice Derek. I do like a bit of live edge.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 07 Oct 2015, 07:02

Very nice indeed.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 07 Oct 2015, 12:27

Derek, looks very good. Like the edge and grain.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rod » 07 Oct 2015, 12:58

Very nice - lovely colours/tones

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 07 Oct 2015, 16:28

Thank you all. This wood certainly has an interesting grain so will try and keep what is left for some special. I have a habit of seeing a log and stopping asking if I can have it which most time is a yes as they want rid of it.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 11 Oct 2015, 10:10

Missed this one. As you say, great piece of timber, looks very nice.

Is you house full to bursting with your turned pieces or do you sell some of them?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Dalboy » 11 Oct 2015, 22:33

Wizard9999 wrote:Missed this one. As you say, great piece of timber, looks very nice.

Is you house full to bursting with your turned pieces or do you sell some of them?

Terry.

Thank you Terry. I don't turn every day otherwise I would have a full house, I am trying to do some craft fairs and any profit goes back into buying turning or even other woodworking kit.

I also make things like toys and some Christmas present which stops them from building up
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 12 Oct 2015, 07:16

Dalboy wrote:
Wizard9999 wrote:Missed this one. As you say, great piece of timber, looks very nice.

Terry.

Thank you Terry. I don't turn every day otherwise I would have a full house, I am trying to do some craft fairs and any profit goes back into buying turning or even other woodworking kit.

I also make things like toys and some Christmas present which stops them from building up

Well, I am sure any of your output you take to craft fairs is in great demand! Nice way to feed the wood habit :lol: .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Phil » 12 Oct 2015, 08:52

Wizard9999 wrote:
Dalboy wrote:

Terry.

Well, I am sure any of your output you take to craft fairs is in great demand! Nice way to feed the wood habit :lol: .

Terry.

Something we don't have here are craft fairs. Tend to have more flea-market stalls selling cheap Chinese junk and rubbish.
In Cape Town many years ago we visited 2 craft fairs - genuine hand made crafts, ranging from wood to metal to preserves to some of the funny stuff the women make.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)