It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:25

Safe use of sandpaper?

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Safe use of sandpaper?

Postby RogerS » 13 Oct 2015, 09:20

I came across this article from HS&E about the safe use of emery on metalworking lathes and thought the advice might well apply to our craft?
http://www.hse.gov.uk/engineering/lathe ... /12-oct-15
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Safe use of sandpaper?

Postby DaveL » 13 Oct 2015, 13:37

I can see the logic in what they are saying but it's difficult to apply on a wood turning lathe, there is only a tool rest not a tool post.
I tend to use a sanding tool that has a freely rotating head that has Velcro backed abrasive attached to it. I have one from Simon Hope, see hopewoodturning.co.uk 3 sizes of head gives lots of choice for getting into the curves.
I do use loose abrasive, the rule is never wrap the abrasive round your fingers, hold it so if it catches, it is just pulled from your grip.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Re: Safe use of sandpaper?

Postby Phil » 16 Oct 2015, 13:49

DaveL wrote:I do use loose abrasive, the rule is never wrap the abrasive round your fingers, hold it so if it catches, it is just pulled from your grip.

Agree with you.
This also applies when using rags for oiling or polishing. If it grips then it's easy to just let go.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)