It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:46

What's it worth?

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

What's it worth?

Postby Worstcombi » 02 Nov 2015, 11:15

Hi Everyone.

A kind neighbour has offered a Harrison Graduate lathe, but they won't say how much they want for it, they want me to make an offer. It's single phase in very good condition, I think it's a 30" bed. It comes with a conventional tailstock and a lever operated one. There's also a bunch of faceplates and the sanding attachement.

I'm new to working in the round, so don't really have much clue about these things. Have looked a few up on line and there seems to be huge variation in price. I'd like to make an offer as it's obviously a quality bit of kit. I want to make a fair offer, not get away with as little as possible, especially as he's been so kind donating some of his planes, cramps and timber stock to me.

Also, what's the purpose of the lever tailstock? As I said, I'm a complete turning virgin.

Cheers
Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Name: Simon

Re: What's it worth?

Postby Phil » 02 Nov 2015, 14:51

Not an easy question to answer.

How old is it? What was original cost?
Post some pics to show the condition.

Is the lathe made from cast iron? Good heavy stuff?
30" is about 750mm which is quite a long bed.

I am sure some the spinny expertise will be along later.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Worstcombi » 02 Nov 2015, 16:07

How old is it? What was original cost?
Post some pics to show the condition.

Is the lathe made from cast iron? Good heavy stuff?
30" is about 750mm which is quite a long bed.

I think it's about 20 years old and he paid £1,000 for it - they're selling them now for almost 3k. All the Union graduates are solid cast-iron.

Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Postby Robert » 02 Nov 2015, 18:02

It may be worth £500 plus if you look at the couple I found on ebay but what you should consider is what is it worth to you?

Are you so keen to get into turning that you'd spend say 600 on a second hand lathe? As a beginner you might only want to risk £300 or less on a lesser quality lathe - in which case offer that. You can always say to your benefactor that if you don't get on with turning and decide to sell it you'll split the difference with him.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby kirkpoore1 » 02 Nov 2015, 20:30

Robert wrote:It may be worth £500 plus if you look at the couple I found on ebay but what you should consider is what is it worth to you?

Are you so keen to get into turning that you'd spend say 600 on a second hand lathe? As a beginner you might only want to risk £300 or less on a lesser quality lathe - in which case offer that. You can always say to your benefactor that if you don't get on with turning and decide to sell it you'll split the difference with him.

Buying recently built used machines, as long as they are in good condition, is usually pretty safe. Bearings are generally still good, wiring isn't brittle, and stuff is rarely broken. The other thing is that they hold their value if not abused. So if you've done your research on others selling, I think the risk is pretty low.

I would also pay him the whole amount if you can. That way if you upgrade later and sell you don't have the whole follow-on cash split and other baggage.

The thing about starting with good tools over cheap crap is that you get better results sooner and much fewer frustrations.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Worstcombi » 02 Nov 2015, 20:41

Thanks everybody.

Think i'll probably offer around £500 and say, if he can get more elsewhere that's no problem. I feel slightly odd about it as he's very ill, hence giving up his workshop - which was his passion. I don't want to seem like a vulture!

Still like to know the reason for the lever operated tailstock.

Cheers
Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Postby DaveL » 02 Nov 2015, 21:40

Worstcombi wrote:Still like to know the reason for the lever operated tailstock.

Simon,
I have seen this on some metal work lathes, it can be used for drilling holes where the feed using the hand wheel is not quick enough, some metals work harden if the cutting rate is not fast enough. Again on metal lathes in a production shop, capstan lathes use multiple tools on a rotating mount (hence the name) some have a lever feed for fast cutting actions, maybe a similar set-up was used on this tail stock.
It does appear to be an option that Harrison offered, picture from Lathes.co.uk
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby kirkpoore1 » 03 Nov 2015, 00:45

Worstcombi wrote:Thanks everybody.

Think i'll probably offer around £500 and say, if he can get more elsewhere that's no problem. I feel slightly odd about it as he's very ill, hence giving up his workshop - which was his passion. I don't want to seem like a vulture!

Still like to know the reason for the lever operated tailstock.

Cheers
Simon

Simon:

It will probably make him feel better if you tell him he can come visit it any time he's able. Also, tell him you'll want lessons when he does show up. That way he'll know it's going to the right home. I've closed the deal on a few machines by showing the previous owner my machine restorations.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Worstcombi » 03 Nov 2015, 00:53

DaveL wrote:
Simon,
I have seen this on some metal work lathes, it can be used for drilling holes where the feed using the hand wheel is not quick enough, some metals work harden if the cutting rate is not fast enough. Again on metal lathes in a production shop, capstan lathes use multiple tools on a rotating mount (hence the name) some have a lever feed for fast cutting actions, maybe a similar set-up was used on this tail stock.
It does appear to be an option that Harrison offered, picture from Lathes.co.uk

Interesting, I know Harrison made some basic metalworking accessories for the Graduate.

Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Postby Worstcombi » 03 Nov 2015, 01:07

Simon:

It will probably make him feel better if you tell him he can come visit it any time he's able. Also, tell him you'll want lessons when he does show up. That way he'll know it's going to the right home. I've closed the deal on a few machines by showing the previous owner my machine restorations.

Kirk

Unfortunately, I don't think he's well enough for that. Just want them to get the most they can for his tools. If I don't buy it they're going to get a dealer in to clear his workshop.

Simon
Worstcombi
Seedling

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)