It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:58

Candle sticks

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Candle sticks

Postby Dalboy » 12 Dec 2015, 01:51

These candle sticks are made from Sapele and stand approximately(forgot to measure before packing these) 12 1/2" tall and 2 3/4" at the widest. Tools used are spindle roughing gouge, spindle gouges, skew chisel, parting tool and carving chisels. Finish is sander sealer and canuba wax polished on a three wheel system.
This turning involved involuted turning as well as a little carving to get the shape at the top of the heart shape. The base is turned separate from the main stem
Side view
Bottom view (this is very deceptive picture as the bases are only 1/16" difference in diameter even I had to check twice)
Top view
General view
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Candle sticks

Postby Andyp » 12 Dec 2015, 13:33

Very nice Derek.

Not sure that my efforts are even worth photographing. They look good when they are either end of the mantelpiece but up close together.....
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 12 Dec 2015, 21:21

Yes indeed, very nice.
Would you care to explain just how you did the heart shaped bit? That has me puzzled.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 12 Dec 2015, 21:45

DaveL wrote:Yes indeed, very nice.
Would you care to explain just how you did the heart shaped bit? That has me puzzled.

This may explain a lot better than me

https://youtu.be/F68Sp9dFALs

I was not happy with the flat areas he left the heart shape so I set to them with the carving chisels to define the outer shape of the heart at the top as well as change some of the other shapes above and below the heart also I wanted a full foot on mine.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)