It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:30

Candle sticks, nearly a pair

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Candle sticks, nearly a pair

Postby Andyp » 12 Dec 2015, 15:09

Made for the comp on UKW.

Well I though long and hard about posting an entry as I know you could not hold a candle to my efforts when compared to those already posted. But, believe it or not, I have spent ages trying to produce something worthy of an entry.

The wood is some kind of Cypress which I felled a couple of years ago. I had intended to use cherry but glad I did not as what you see here are the best of 5 attempts.

When placed either end of the mantle piece and viewed from the other side of the room they can be mistaken for a pair. Closer inspection reveals otherwise.

A near disaster while fitting the candles required both pieces to be rechucked so the bottoms are not as clean as they should be.

I worked up a sweat preparing the blanks, I did this 3 times.

I certainly know my limitations when it comes to copy turning but as always it is fun trying.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Candle sticks, nearly a pair

Postby DaveL » 12 Dec 2015, 21:15

I think that is a jolly good effort. I learned that making exactly matching pairs is hard work.
Something I found helps with making burned lines that have equal spacing, a pair of dividers set to the gap, mark the first one and then with the lathe running use them to step of the others. Then go back with the wire to burn the rings into the work.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 12 Dec 2015, 21:17

When you say re-chucking do you mean putting it between centrers and using the 4 pronged drive, if so do you not have a chuck that you could have used with a jam chuck.
They are not too bad Andy the only thing that jumps out straight away is the three lines around each one, there are other little bits that need tweeking but on the whole a good job :eusa-clap:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Dec 2015, 09:17

DaveL wrote:I think that is a jolly good effort. I learned that making exactly matching pairs is hard work.
Something I found helps with making burned lines that have equal spacing, a pair of dividers set to the gap, mark the first one and then with the lathe running use them to step of the others. Then go back with the wire to burn the rings into the work.

Dave, you are very kind thanks.
I did mark them, but not very well :oops: and got a little eager with the gouge. :oops:

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 13 Dec 2015, 09:19

Dalboy wrote:When you say re-chucking do you mean putting it between centrers and using the 4 pronged drive, if so do you not have a chuck that you could have used with a jam chuck.
They are not too bad Andy the only thing that jumps out straight away is the three lines around each one, there are other little bits that need tweeking but on the whole a good job :eusa-clap:

I had to remove some scratches from the bases that were caused wedding ring while pushing the candles home. The pronged drive was the only way I could hold the pieces with re-finishing :oops:

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 13 Dec 2015, 12:35

Hopefully you enjoyed turning them and at least you had a go. Each time you do a pair they become a little easier
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Dec 2015, 18:57

I did indeed Derek, although once or twice the air went blue with each attempt to make a matched pair failed.
I now have to go out and clear at least 12" of shavings from the floor.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)