It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:40

Buffing system

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Buffing system

Postby Andyp » 07 Jan 2016, 08:12

Does anyone use one? On or off the lathe?
I was thinking about getting the Chestnut 3 Wheel buffing system and was wondering whether spinning the material on the lathe and holding the object still really results in a better "polish" than spinning the object on the lathe and holding the material.

I am also disappointed that Axminster only seem to supply Chestnuts buffing wheels and not their mops of the same grade.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Buffing system

Postby chataigner » 07 Jan 2016, 09:20

Re which par turns : probably not a lot of difference as far as work produced on the lathe is concerned, but a rotating wheel can buff any size and shape, including things not suitable for mounting in the lathe.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Dalboy » 07 Jan 2016, 11:43

Andy I have the 3 mop Chestnut buffing system and find it great the advantage other than what chataigner said is that you can turn the piece so that not all the work is being polished in a radial pattern(if that makes sense).
As for buying the smaller mops Ed Oliver sells them a great guy luckily he bring some stock to our club meetings. Easy to talk to as he is a turner which helps alot see the Mops HERE.

THIS bowl I did was buffed on the system

Just a word of warning when using it don't press to hard and hold on to the work a loss of concentration and the work can fly across the shed but that is the same with any buffing system
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 07 Jan 2016, 13:49

Dalboy wrote:Just a word of warning when using it don't press to hard and hold on to the work a loss of concentration and the work can fly across the shed but that is the same with any buffing system

Oh yes, a number of small things have totally disappeared in the shop due to a loss of concentration. :oops:

I have a buffing set from Tony Walton it uses as pig tail instead of the threaded rod system of the Chestnut system.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 07 Jan 2016, 16:16

Thanks all.
amazing to me that some many woodtuners run mail order business supplying this type of stuff. Not the case here, as far as I can see.
I've ordered the chestnut kit from Axminster and did not find it hard to bump the order over the free carriage charge limit :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 07 Jan 2016, 18:04

When using the system don't over load the mops. You will soon get the hang on how much. Also when you first use it be prepared for bits of the mops to fly off they don't half tickle the nose. It will clear after you have done a few pieces
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Jan 2016, 21:13

Thanks Derek, I'll let you know how I get on. I am determined to get a nice shine on those lignum bowls.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)