It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:32

The Experiment

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

The Experiment

Postby Dalboy » 08 Jan 2016, 18:48

Well I have managed to complete a experimental bowl with hopefully has the bubble look.

I believe it is maple and the inner bowl shows some quilting pattern. I have been wanting to get down to playing with different colouring techniques and this is one of them.

The bowl is 7" X 2"

C & C welcome

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: The Experiment

Postby Andyp » 08 Jan 2016, 23:00

Sorry Derek, you cant show us something like that without telling us how you achieved that affect :D . Please.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 08 Jan 2016, 23:53

First you need a lathe and turning tools Andy :lol: :lol: :lol:

The rim is sanded to 600grit and then a sander sealer is applied this helps stop bleeding of the stain, blue stain is applied to this. Once every thing is dry I took an eye dropper and dropped spots of water of different sizes and in a random pattern.
I used car automotive paint in the rattle cans one white and the other black.
Starting with the white and at a very low angle just slightly above horizontal I sprayed a very fine mist over the whole rim, changing to the black and rotating the bowl 180deg and repeat the same process as the white.

DO NOT tilt the bowl at any stage and also don't get too close when spraying the black and white paint otherwise the bubbles will move.

This now need to be left until the water has dried fully and another DO NOT touch anything as you still can smear the paint even though it is dry. Give it two or three light coats of varnish again from a spray can I found Acrylic gloss spray was great, this has now sealed every thing in.

Return the blank to clean up the outer edge from any over spray and turn the inner bowl.

Does that help Andy
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Jan 2016, 08:56

It does indeed Derek and the effect and execution are as usual top notch.
How rigid are those bubbles now? Will they stand up to handling without popping?

If I ever master the lathe and turning tools I'll have a go at these fancy finishing techniques. :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 09 Jan 2016, 13:35

Andyp wrote:It does indeed Derek and the effect and execution are as usual top notch.
How rigid are those bubbles now? Will they stand up to handling without popping?

If I ever master the lathe and turning tools I'll have a go at these fancy finishing techniques. :D

You can't pop them Andy because as the water dries the paint lays down on the flat surface. The only problem is if you over spray the paint then you get a wrinkled layer which would also discolour the back ground colour to much as well.

When you go onto decorating a piece then not only do you need to know your lathe and tools but also perfect surface of the wood with sanding as any faults scratched will show through.

Just start with the simpler things and work up, it has taken me 8 years just to get to here.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Jan 2016, 14:22

Don't worry Derek, after I have learnt to crawl I will try and walk then I might try running :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 10 Jan 2016, 06:16

Derek, that looks very good.

You must have alot of patience to be able to do that. 8-)

Cheers
Phil
who has no patience and a short temper
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Jan 2016, 22:31

LOVE that effect!!! I am constantly in awe at what you and other turners come up with Derek! Bloody lovely!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dalboy » 12 Jan 2016, 00:31

Thank you Phil and Mark the effect did not take as long as you would imagine if you take away the drying time.
Placing the drops of water took the longest at about 5 minutes to spray the bubbles took less than 2 minutes for both the white and black paint
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)