It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 11:39

Spaltes sycamore bowl

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Spaltes sycamore bowl

Postby Andyp » 02 Feb 2016, 15:19

Here's the one that did not go into orbit :D

can't seem to replicate the wonderful polished shine in the photos.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
Andyp
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Re: Spaltes sycamore bowl

Postby Wizard9999 » 02 Feb 2016, 18:33

Nice work Andy, you're really getting the hang of theat wood spinning aren't you!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Andyp » 02 Feb 2016, 19:04

Thanks Terry, if only the photos could do it justice.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
Andyp
Old Oak

Postby Dalboy » 02 Feb 2016, 20:40

Looks good Andy as you say sometimes it can be difficult to show the finish, but the photo's will not hide any faults and I can't see any, you have done a good job on the finish with no tool or sanding marks, I like the shape.
Did you use the buffing system on this one if so how are you finding it now
Dalboy
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 03 Feb 2016, 12:51

Dalboy wrote:Looks good Andy as you say sometimes it can be difficult to show the finish, but the photo's will not hide any faults and I can't see any, you have done a good job on the finish with no tool or sanding marks, I like the shape.
Did you use the buffing system on this one if so how are you finding it now

Thanks Derek, the inside took a little more sanding than the outside. There always seems to be a bit (on the inside) that ends up a bit rough from the tools, bowl gauge and scraper.

Yes it was buffed on the chestnut system and the finish is better than the photos. I find the inside harder to polish. I do have the dome head mops too.
I used a 20% diluted cellulose sanding sealer followed by white compound and then the wax. I am a bit wary of the brown stuff taking off the sealer if I over do it. Perhaps I need to give it a try.
cheers

Andy

Andyp
Old Oak

Postby Dalboy » 03 Feb 2016, 14:59

Once you get use to using all of the compounds you can then control the finish.
Dalboy
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)