It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:08

Surf and Turf

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Surf and Turf

Postby Dalboy » 13 Apr 2016, 15:54

Not to sure about the name but anyway here is the latest piece I have been making.

Well at last managed to get something off the lathe after two that exploded and then this one having three attempts at colouring, I finally ended up with something I liked.
The wood I believe is holly and quite plain and it stands 7" tall and 3" at the widest.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Surf and Turf

Postby Andyp » 13 Apr 2016, 16:25

Derek is there are chance of seeing an image before the colouring was done?
I do try but somehow taking wood and hiding all the grain and natural features with colour and sparkle seems kinda wrong. I do not doubt the skill involved and the appearance is lovely but it might as well have been made from glass or plastic.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 13 Apr 2016, 17:38

Andyp wrote:Derek is there are chance of seeing an image before the colouring was done?
I do try but somehow taking wood and hiding all the grain and natural features with colour and sparkle seems kinda wrong. I do not doubt the skill involved and the appearance is lovely but it might as well have been made from glass or plastic.

The thing about holly is it is very plane, I bet there was no real grain to see before the colours were applied.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 13 Apr 2016, 18:57

Andyp wrote:Derek is there are chance of seeing an image before the colouring was done?

I use to think that but if you have a very plain(As Dave says) piece of wood then you can play and just have fun. I would not do this much colour on something that has a great piece of figure.

Sorry no before photo's except a piece of holly that never made the grade due to a blow out.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 13 Apr 2016, 20:48

As somebody with no experience of turning, based on those pictures may I ask if a "blow out" is a turner's euphemism for an exploding vase?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Dalboy » 14 Apr 2016, 09:08

Wizard9999 wrote:As somebody with no experience of turning, based on those pictures may I ask if a "blow out" is a turner's euphemism for an exploding vase?

Terry.

Normally people say it exploded it is just my way of saying it :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 14 Apr 2016, 14:32

Blow out sounds better - what are all those drill marks?
Nice colours.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 14 Apr 2016, 18:14

Rod wrote:Blow out sounds better - what are all those drill marks?
Nice colours.

Rod

They would be removed after the turning so it was full of holes they were just for reference but a couple went a little deeper than expected. The vase did not break up while turning it was when I did the final sanding that was the problem a corner of the paper lifted off of the stick and caught one of the holes that I had gone too deep. I was wearing a full face mask and was stood near the end so out of the path of any flying bits
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)