It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:56

New Axminster Evolution Tool rests

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

New Axminster Evolution Tool rests

Postby Andyp » 16 Apr 2016, 18:48

I have just had an email about these. Does anyone know if the tool rests are compatible with the Sorby tool posts?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: New Axminster Evolution Tool rests

Postby Rob » 16 Apr 2016, 20:42

There are three diameters with the new Axy posts as far as I'm aware which are 25mm dead, - inch is 25.4mm and 19mm. Those three diameters cover most lathes out there so you just need to measure the internal radius of yours then order the appropriate diameter
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Apr 2016, 07:40

Rob, it is not the diameter of the post I was concerned about but the thread size on the top of the post I have a Sorby post and was wondering if the Axminster rests would screw on to it.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 17 Apr 2016, 08:32

I believe that the Sorby have a thread size of M12 X 1.25mm, I don't know anything about the Axminster ones so can't comment if they are compatible, I'll go google em

Edit.
I now know why there are so many moans on UKW about the Axminster site :? Easier to find them via a Google search with the same search criteria than on their sight :lol:
No mention of thread size, Sorbys are hardened as apposed to stainless but there doesn't seem much difference in price.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Apr 2016, 09:06

Doug, their search engine has always been a mystery to be.

It is the ease of ordering and their shipping charges to France that make buying from Axminster such an advantage, not just their prices.

I will contact the Tech Services team on Monday and see what they say about the thread size.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 17 Apr 2016, 10:38

Andyp wrote:Doug, their search engine has always been a mystery to be.

It is the ease of ordering and their shipping charges to France that make buying from Axminster such an advantage, not just their prices.

I will contact the Tech Services team on Monday and see what they say about the thread size.

I certainly agree about the website. I'm trying to find planer knives of a particular size and they only seem to list them by the machine they fit rather then the dimensions. all fine and dandy if you happen to have a machine on their list but useless if you want to search by dimensions.

Maybe Rob will see this and apply feedback?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rob » 17 Apr 2016, 21:33

Andyp wrote:Rob, it is not the diameter of the post I was concerned about but the thread size on the top of the post I have a Sorby post and was wondering if the Axminster rests would screw on to it.

Righto.
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Apr 2016, 11:59

Andyp wrote:I have just had an email about these. Does anyone know if the tool rests are compatible with the Sorby tool posts?

They may be, but why should they? They're meant to fit Ax stuff, not Sorby. I'm at AxHQ tomorrow and I've got a 'S' shaped Sorby rest. I'll take it in and see if I can find a new tool post that will fit it - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Apr 2016, 13:02

Thanks Rob, there are no reasons why they should and I would not blame Axminster if they did not but as you know I already have a Sorby post.

I have also sent a mail to AxHQ which has been acknowledged so I will let you know if I hear back.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 18 Apr 2016, 13:09

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:I have just had an email about these. Does anyone know if the tool rests are compatible with the Sorby tool posts?

They may be, but why should they?

To broaden the market for their tool rests maybe? Not a lathe user so no idea of the relative cost of the rest and the post, but if, as Andy, you have a post already you may buy an Axminster rest if it fits a Sorby post. But, if it doesn't fit will Andy throw away his Sorby post and buy an Axminster post and rest, or will he just buy a rest that is compatible with his post?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Apr 2016, 13:43

I've just checked and I've also got a Sorby post to fit the 'S' rest. The thread on it appears much finer (also smaller) than the new Ax ones, so my guess is that they're not compatible - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Apr 2016, 17:37

Woodbloke wrote:I've just checked and I've also got a Sorby post to fit the 'S' rest. The thread on it appears much finer (also smaller) than the new Ax ones, so my guess is that they're not compatible - Rob

Thanks for checking Rob, I appreciate it. It is a shame as shipping charges from Sorby stockists in the UK are quite high for the qty of turning stuff I tend to order. Buying Sorby locally is also prohibitive. Will just have to order and have delivered pending by next visit or wait for a friendly courier.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Apr 2016, 11:57

I've asked the question this morning to Jason and Colwin in the Skill Centre and the answer is... ''they might''. The thread is the same on both, but the machined collar underneath on the Ax tool post may or may not match a Sorby rest - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Apr 2016, 15:27

I think I will wait have to stick with RS for now.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Sep 2016, 10:50

Just got hold of a set for the VS1628, very nice and a big improvement on the standard issue that came with the lathe - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 18 Sep 2016, 13:37

Woodbloke wrote:Just got hold of a set for the VS1628, very nice and a big improvement on the standard issue that came with the lathe - Rob

No surprise there then :eusa-think:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Sep 2016, 10:13

Doug wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:Just got hold of a set for the VS1628, very nice and a big improvement on the standard issue that came with the lathe - Rob

Had they been cr@p I would have cheerfully said so, but they're not. The only thing I would say is that the longest one (250mm) is maybe a bit too short compared to the one that came with the lathe - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 28 Sep 2016, 20:42

Woodbloke wrote:
Doug wrote:

Had they been cr@p I would have cheerfully said so, but they're not. The only thing I would say is that the longest one (250mm) is maybe a bit too short compared to the one that came with the lathe - Rob

Strangely enough my comment bore no reference to your impartiality or otherwise re the evolution tool rests.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Sep 2016, 21:40

Think a bit of over sensitivity there :D. I read Doug's comment as more along the lines of Axminster selling a lathe with 'average' parts and then being happy to sell better ones for another chunk of change. Closer to the mark Doug?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2016, 21:49

Wizard9999 wrote:Think a bit of over sensitivity there :D. I read Doug's comment as more along the lines of Axminster selling a lathe with 'average' parts and then being happy to sell better ones for another chunk of change. Closer to the mark Doug?

Terry.

I must admit that when I read Doug's earlier post, I interpreted it as a dig but let it go as maybe there could be other interpretations.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Doug » 28 Sep 2016, 21:52

Wizard9999 wrote:Think a bit of over sensitivity there :D. I read Doug's comment as more along the lines of Axminster selling a lathe with 'average' parts and then being happy to sell better ones for another chunk of change. Closer to the mark Doug?

Terry.

Spot on Terry, my local club went from a Myford lathe to an Axminster & it's not a patch on the Myford, the basic components are quite poor.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Sep 2016, 15:18

Terry.

The standard ones as supplied with the VS1628 are no better or worse than any others, it's just that these new rests in ss are so much better.
Doug wrote:

Terry.

Spot on Terry, my local club went from a Myford lathe to an Axminster & it's not a patch on the Myford, the basic components are quite poor.

The Trade rated lathes are a world away from the Hobby ranges. The 1628VS was independently recommended to me by Mark Sanger when I saw him a couple of years ago and he was using a big, chunky Record at the time in his 'shop at home. If you haven't done so, it's worth while reading the reviews on the Ax site which are published warts n'all without fear or favour - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 26 Jan 2017, 17:30

I helped a mate set up his new 1628VS a little while back and have to say it's a very solid piece of kit. He's well pleased with it as am I with my 1416VS. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 25 Mar 2017, 16:01

Woodster wrote:I helped a mate set up his new 1628VS a little while back and have to say it's a very solid piece of kit. He's well pleased with it as am I with my 1416VS. ;)

That would be me, it is and I am, as are you. :D

... and on the subject of Sorby vs Axy modular toolrests, I can confirm that they are not compatible.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Andyp » 25 Mar 2017, 18:12

Hi Selectortone and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your comments on the tool rests.

If you would like to share with us some of the turnings you have done on that lathe we would love to see them.
I think I have a few years yet of mastering the basic skills before I could justify lathe like that.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Next

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)