It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:56

Competition piece

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Competition piece

Postby Dalboy » 23 Sep 2016, 18:17

As title this is for the club competition not sure now that is complete that I like it but the wife does and I am not arguing.

Made from Sapele and tulip wood the coloured bit was a failed pot that I had shaped but it was too shallow to show what I wanted so it became the decorated piece on this rather large box.

It is 5 1/2" diameter and 8" tall.

C & C Welcome

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Competition piece

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Sep 2016, 22:04

Tremendous skills as always Derek. Not sure it's my taste but I like the finial, and in awe at the 'petals'.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 24 Sep 2016, 07:50

Not many of your things I actively dislike, Derek, but this looks like a collection of disparate elements that were never meant to be together. Skillful as those petals are, they just look weird in this setting. Overall, this looks like a plumb pudding gone wrong. I don't know if you have time for a rethink before the competition, but this piece would benefit from a redesign.......in my opinion, of course. Apologies if this sounds a bit harsh.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Sep 2016, 08:50

The jury is out on this one I am afraid Derek. Not sure if it is the 4 different colours or just the shape of those "petals", probably a combination of the two.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 24 Sep 2016, 11:06

Well I like the elm bowl much more than this, sorry but I think Mike summed it up, plum pudding.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 24 Sep 2016, 19:43

Thank you all for your thoughts on this piece and they are all noted.

Mike G wrote:Not many of your things I actively dislike, Derek, but this looks like a collection of disparate elements that were never meant to be together. Skillful as those petals are, they just look weird in this setting. Overall, this looks like a plumb pudding gone wrong. I don't know if you have time for a rethink before the competition, but this piece would benefit from a redesign.......in my opinion, of course. Apologies if this sounds a bit harsh.

I like the idea that it looks like a plumb pudding gone wrong. And there is no need to apologise as it is great to get different views on my work, quite often it kicks me into trying other things with those views in mind.
No time for a rethink as I have too many things to do and make before then
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)