It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:52

The Inside Edge

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

The Inside Edge

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Oct 2016, 17:55

As a prelude to getting back to more serious :D woodwork, I'm going to do a bit of stuff on the dark spiny side and to that end, I've been messing around with turning tools this afternoon, but more specifically attempting to get a reasonably decent edge on my gouges. I've been using a a Sorby ProEdge with a pretty coarse belt but to my surprise, it seems to produce a serviceable edge, so is there any need to polish or hone the inside bevel? I've been using the edge of a old thick leather belt dressed with a bit of Tormek abrasive and it seems to do the job. To be fair, I think I'd get a finer edge with a middling grit on the Sorby but the coarse grit appears to work. I also found that polishing the outside bevel on the leather wheel of the Tormek degrades the edge somewhat as it rounds it over.
Thoughts appreciated - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: The Inside Edge

Postby DaveL » 09 Oct 2016, 19:08

I have the Jet wet stone grinder. If I have reshaped the angle on a tool I might run a slip stone down the flute, to remove any burr. For normal sharpening I just use the stone grader to get the finer finish from the wheel, I never use the leather hone on turning tools.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Re: The Inside Edge

Postby Dalboy » 09 Oct 2016, 23:21

No need to hone many of the turning tools. Remember that a turning tool will cut many more meters of wood in 1 minute than any other chisel or planer blade.
If you find that you need to push a little harder to get a cut then a quick trip to your chosen sharpening device.
The only turning tools that I don't put on my grinder are scrapers and skew chisel and I give them a quick rub with a diamond card every so often.
When you get down to the final cuts on a piece then sharpen and give it the last couple of cuts with the tool will give a better finish before having to use sand paper.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)