It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 14:37

maple bowl

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

maple bowl

Postby Andyp » 15 Oct 2016, 19:48

The missus asked me to turn something for a friend at work.
This is what I did in maple. I thought I had some better photos than this, sorry.

Image

Image

Image

The recipient asked why I had not signed it. Something I had never thought of doing but perhaps I should.

So do you sign yours and if so how?
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: maple bowl

Postby Dalboy » 15 Oct 2016, 19:56

Nice little pot Andy. Not signed any of mine but many either use a pyrography machine or buy a branding iron with your own design which if memory serves me right was about £27-£30
Dalboy
Sapling
 
Posts: 476
Joined: 29 Aug 2014, 11:16
Name:

Re: maple bowl

Postby Andyp » 15 Oct 2016, 20:08

Thanks Derek, I'll try a low cost approach to signing first. Permanent pen between the sanding sealer and the final finish. Dunno if it will run though.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: maple bowl

Postby DaveL » 15 Oct 2016, 20:20

Nicely done.

I have a branding of my initials, works OK but getting the heat right means I need to always test on a scrap of the same wood first.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
User avatar
DaveL
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 794
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
Name: Dave

Re: maple bowl

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Oct 2016, 22:26

Nice.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: maple bowl

Postby Rod » 15 Oct 2016, 22:37

I had these made

Image

Rod
User avatar
Rod
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:34
Location: Winchester, Hampshire
Name:

Re: maple bowl

Postby Phil » 16 Oct 2016, 12:58

Nice work Andy. What will she put in it?

I sign everyting I make or repair with a fine point permanent marker.
Not had an issue with run-through at all.

On the T-Lights I usually write it in one of the holes. I have also drilled a smaller hole at the base below the candle and inserted a coin with the appropriate year.

Cheers
Phil
Support courage where there is fear, foster agreement where there is conflict and inspire hope where there is despair – Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Phil
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: 23 Jul 2014, 05:11
Location: Southern Africa 0054
Name: Phil

Re: maple bowl

Postby Doug » 16 Oct 2016, 13:31

Looks good Andy, lovely finish definitely want to start signing them :eusa-clap:
User avatar
Doug
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 22:22
Location: Location Location
Name:

Re: maple bowl

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2016, 14:26

Phil wrote:Nice work Andy. What will she put in it?


Thanks Phil, I dunno what she will use it for but the metal "lid" is sold as a pot pourri lid.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: maple bowl

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2016, 14:29

DaveL wrote:Nicely done.

I have a branding of my initials, works OK but getting the heat right means I need to always test on a scrap of the same wood first.


Thanks Dave, I do not think that I will ever be prolific enough to justify the cost of one of those branding irons. On the next one I will try the pen approach.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: maple bowl

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2016, 14:30

Rod wrote:I had these made

Image

Rod


They look costly Rod.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: maple bowl

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2016, 14:30

Doug wrote:Looks good Andy, lovely finish definitely want to start signing them :eusa-clap:



Cheers Doug, I still struggle with the photos but I am please with the finish on that one.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: maple bowl

Postby Pinch » 16 Oct 2016, 14:32

Lovely bowl Andy. Maple has always been one of my favourites.

Signing & dating work is an interesting topic. I've used name plates/stamps in my work over the years. I've also written all sorts of quirky notes/phrases in discreet places on previous work as well. These notes might never be found in the future, unless the work is dismantled. 8-)
www.woodmonkeyworkshop.com

In my previous life, I was a tree.
User avatar
Pinch
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:59
Location: Milton Abbas, Dorset.
Name: Paul

Re: maple bowl

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2016, 14:55

Thanks Paul, I bought a couple of pieces when from Turners Retreat with a few other bits and bobs.

I tend to associated signing things with artists which I am far from, or by commercial makers such as yourself, who would leave a name plate on a large piece. I do like the idea of writing the date and species as it tends to be the first thing people ask.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: maple bowl

Postby Pinch » 16 Oct 2016, 15:20

I think any piece of creative work deserves a maker's/artist's name & date, whether it's been professionally made or not. I've always considered myself to be an artist, I just don't know which type - first letter is 'p' probably. :lol: I've also written poems to go with some of my work too.

I think, like you say, the species would be a great piece of information. A name and date is always going to give the work that personal touch.
www.woodmonkeyworkshop.com

In my previous life, I was a tree.
User avatar
Pinch
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:59
Location: Milton Abbas, Dorset.
Name: Paul

Re: maple bowl

Postby Jimmy Mack » 17 Oct 2016, 23:12

In the past I've discreetly pencil signed and dated between or after coats. If using a permanent marker...test your finish as solvents, especially cellulose thinners will...well... thin / diSolve your marker.

Jim

PS.. lovely bowl

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Jimmy Mack
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 575
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:04
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Name:

Re: maple bowl

Postby Andyp » 18 Oct 2016, 06:28

Thanks Jim, I can see that pencil might be a better idea than ink.
cheers

Andy

if images are not visible on my posts it is because Photobucket withdrew their free hosting service. I will reload images to the most recent threads in due course. Please drop me a PM if you would like to see anything before then
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: maple bowl

Postby Phil » 18 Oct 2016, 16:16

Andyp wrote:Thanks Jim, I can see that pencil might be a better idea than ink.



Andy, my finishes have always been some sort of oil - danish, boiled linseed.

Not experienced any runny ink problems,
Support courage where there is fear, foster agreement where there is conflict and inspire hope where there is despair – Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Phil
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: 23 Jul 2014, 05:11
Location: Southern Africa 0054
Name: Phil


Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest