Page 2 of 2

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 10:32
by Andyp
Thanks Richard,

Glue is something I am very conscious about with this sort of turning. For keeping the piece together on the lathe and for robustness is normal use.
I have been using PVA - Evostick Resin W, waterproof, up to now. But it has been suggested that PVA can be liable to movement and that Cascamite would be a better bet. I have also been told that Titebond 3 would be a glue better than PVA.

Further thoughts would be welcome.

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 10:34
by Mike G
Careful with the colour of Titebond. At least one of them (and I can't remember which) dries a nasty dark brown colour.

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 14:50
by Dalboy
Andyp wrote:Thanks Richard,

Glue is something I am very conscious about with this sort of turning. For keeping the piece together on the lathe and for robustness is normal use.
I have been using PVA - Evostick Resin W, waterproof, up to now. But it has been suggested that PVA can be liable to movement and that Cascamite would be a better bet. I have also been told that Titebond 3 would be a glue better than PVA.

Further thoughts would be welcome.


I have have experience of creep with pva even though it is all lined up and set I found small ridges appear after a while so for any work where I use more than 1 piece of wood I use cascamite.

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 18:59
by Andyp
Thanks Derek. I have a couple of small pots on order.

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 19:01
by Andyp
Mike G wrote:Careful with the colour of Titebond. At least one of them (and I can't remember which) dries a nasty dark brown colour.


A quick google confirms that it is the Titebond 3 that leaves a dark glue line.

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 08:04
by justaskin
Hi Andy
Many thanks for the reply, always very interesting what others prefer. I always now use cascamite as the other liquid varieties discolour lighter colours wood close to the seam, also is not so susceptible to timber movement due to atmospheric conditions.

Cheers
Richard
Oh and is cheaper :lol:

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 17:08
by Woodster
Very nice job Andy. I turned a similar one but I used bubinga (I think) inserts about 22mm thick in a Maple bowl about 7" diameter.

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 17:15
by Andyp
Hi Woodster and welcome and thanks for your kind comments
After your third post you will be able to post images. Please do as we love to see what other woodworkers are up to,

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 18:03
by Woodster
Mine started out like this. As you can see I started with a round bowl blank. Not ideal for glue up but it worked out ok.

Image

I don't have a decent picture of it finished, I'll have to take one.

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 18:35
by Andyp
Woodster wrote:Mine started out like this. As you can see I started with a round bowl blank. Not ideal for glue up but it worked out ok.

Image

I don't have a decent picture of it finished, I'll have to take one.


Yes please. Suggest you create a new thread for as it is bound to show my one up. :D

Re: Chestnut bowl with walnut inserts

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 18:52
by Woodster
Done.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2410

It's not a very good shot, just a quick picture taken on an iPad.