It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:48

Beech Bowl Blanks

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Beech Bowl Blanks

Postby Andyp » 23 Feb 2017, 13:35

Having purchased a rip chain I was able to push my little lecky chainsaw to it's limit and very carefully cut this log in half.

After a lot more sawing with both chainsaw and bandsaw I got some very interesting looking blanks.
I do so hope that I can keep that figure/spalting without them splitting.

After experimenting with turning wet ash I've decided the mess is not worth it so these have been sealed and will be allowed to dry naturally. I might have a go at part turning some of them in a year or so.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Beech Bowl Blanks

Postby Dalboy » 23 Feb 2017, 21:40

Now all you need is some more logs to convert and keep getting them to build up a supply throughout the year. They do look good like you I have a chainsaw and found it great in getting the logs to a usable size
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 23 Feb 2017, 22:25

Those blanks are very neatly cut, I never seem to get them that nice. They are something to look forward to turning in a year or two.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 24 Feb 2017, 12:54

Dalboy wrote:Now all you need is some more logs to convert and keep getting them to build up a supply throughout the year. They do look good like you I have a chainsaw and found it great in getting the logs to a usable size

I am getting there Derek.
This is most of what I have been collecting over the past 2 years.

I am currently working out what to keep from this lot too. Mostly beech with a few bits of ash.

As with every tool I have ever bought I wish the chainsaw was a tad bigger. That big log I had to cut from both sides which I found was very difficult as to keep to the same saw cut all the way through was neigh on impossible.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 24 Feb 2017, 12:59

DaveL wrote:Those blanks are very neatly cut, I never seem to get them that nice. They are something to look forward to turning in a year or two.

Thanks Dave. I was pushing the bandsaw to the maximum limit of it's depth of cut at times. The big ones are 12" diameter which is the maximum my lathe will take too.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 24 Feb 2017, 15:02

Nice stack
I'd be slightly worried of woodworm from the stored stuff Andy

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Feb 2017, 15:21

Rod,
I had a good look at the stuff above the workshop this morning and the logs that still have the bark on are OK.
I hope and expect by stripping the bark of the really good stuff I should be able to keep the worms at bay. I did treat some of the older stuff but I hate to use chemicals and beside the holes can add character ;)

The stored stuff outside is just a fraction here is the rest.

I am trying to empty the wood store at the moment as the missus wants me to shift it about 2 meters to the left and closer to the house. I am hoping I can find something suitable to roll it along as it aint coming apart.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby MattS » 28 Mar 2017, 11:11

That's a lot of wood! That must be for a fire as welll as turning?
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Mar 2017, 11:26

Indeed Matt, the last 3 rows will be for this coming winter, 2017/18, with the 3 rows on the right for the winter after. We get through about 8 cubic metres each season. I still have quite a lot left under cover from this winter which although has been cold we have had many fine sunny days to help warm the house so usage has been quite low.
For the past 2 nights I have not had to light the fire but I am sure it will be needed a few times yet in the coming months.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby MattS » 28 Mar 2017, 14:09

Amazing the volume of wood needed for heating!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Mar 2017, 14:58

Matt, the wood burner is our main source of heat but will still need electric rads for a couple of hours in the morning in the bathrooms and kitchen and it if gets very cold in two of the 4 bedrooms.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)