It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:16

Natural Edge Bowl

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Natural Edge Bowl

Postby selectortone » 01 Apr 2017, 16:35

Hi All,

Here's a natural edge bowl I finished today. It's about 6" in diameter. Not sure what wood - sycamore maybe? It is from a large branch I have had in the garage for ages. This piece was heart-shaped in section and calling out for a natural edge bowl. Turned the outside between centres to put a dovetail on, hollowed out VERY carefully to preserve the bark (used thin superglue to fix) and then turned on a jam chuck to remove the dovetail and fashion the base. It's finished with diamond white then carnauba wax using polishing mops.

selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Re: Natural Edge Bowl

Postby Andyp » 01 Apr 2017, 17:23

That is gorgeous and a technique that I have yet to try.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Apr 2017, 22:20

Pretty!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Apr 2017, 00:30

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodster » 02 Apr 2017, 11:14

Although I appreciate the skill required to produce a natural edge bowl I'm not normally a fan of them. I have to say though that is one of the best looking natural edge bowls I've seen. I think it's the overall shape that makes it look so good. :eusa-clap:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 02 Apr 2017, 11:30

Thanks all - and big thanks to my mate Woodster who is a dab hand with a metal lathe. He recently made me a square section chisel blade with an 8mm carbide cutter which I made a nice long handle for. I hogged most of the inside out with a bowl gouge then used his chisel to scrape it down to round. Being square section it sits on the rest really solidly which is just the job when you've got a bit of overhang over the rest. The carbide cutter makes short work of it and leaves a nice finish with hardly any tear-out if you go gently. A quick finish scrape with an old carbon steel scraper I have that I can get a really sharp edge on and the inside looks great. Smooth as the proverbial baby's bum.

selectortone
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 02 Apr 2017, 13:53

A nice looking natural edge bowl looks well turned. I would like to know how you applied a finish to the bark as polishing mops and also wax as I find they are not the best method for it.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 02 Apr 2017, 14:30

Hi Dalboy, I don't polish the bark - I just leave it 'au naturel'. I've tried applying liquid wax to bark, brushing it in with a shoe brush, but I've come to the conclusion bark looks best as it comes off the tree. Using small domed mops mounted on the lathe it's quite easy to polish up the turned bits and avoid the bark.
selectortone
Sapling

Postby Woodster » 10 Apr 2017, 11:41

After going to the bother of trying to keep the bark on I'm not sure I'd want to risk losing it by polishing it. It looks fine as it is anyway.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)