It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:26

Turning Accoya

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Turning Accoya

Postby Doug » 01 Sep 2017, 13:19

I've not been around much as I've been rather busy of late but yesterday I had a pleasant day over at Boston turning some pillars from Accoya for an upcoming kitchen being made by my cabinet maker mate Jonny D.

These pillars will be veneered in Rosewood hence his choice of Accoya as the base for the pillars, to say they took his CL 3 lathe to its limits is no exaggeration. :lol:

Hopefully if I've got this new photo uploading right there should be a picture attached showing one of the pillars mid turning.

IMG_3121.JPG
(240.07 KiB)
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Turning Accoya

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Sep 2017, 13:22

Wow that's some thick lumps there mate. Haha lathe looks like it's at almost full stretch there! :D

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 01 Sep 2017, 13:41

Doug wrote:
Hopefully if I've got this new photo uploading right there should be a picture attached showing one of the pillars mid turning.

Nearly right Doug. The only thing extra you need to do is to insert the figure in-line (as per the guide)

Just uploading pictures without putting them in-line, they are all piled up at the bottom of the post surrounded by the white border.

I can correct this for you but you might prefer to go in and edit it yourself to see the difference and the process?.

Up to you - I'll try and call in a day or so and see if it still needs attention.

Interesting that the Accoya turns OK as IIRC the structure of the wood gets modified but clearly behaves well.

Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Doug » 01 Sep 2017, 14:28

TrimTheKing wrote:Wow that's some thick lumps there mate. Haha lathe looks like it's at almost full stretch there! :D

Cheers
Mark

I certainly knew when t was spinning Mark :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Sep 2017, 14:37

Doug wrote:I certainly knew when t was spinning Mark :lol:

:lol: :text-lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Doug » 01 Sep 2017, 14:39

9fingers wrote:
Doug wrote:

Nearly right Doug. The only thing extra you need to do is to insert the figure in-line (as per the guide)

Just uploading pictures without putting them in-line, they are all piled up at the bottom of the post surrounded by the white border.

I can correct this for you but you might prefer to go in and edit it yourself to see the difference and the process?.

Up to you - I'll try and call in a day or so and see if it still needs attention.

Interesting that the Accoya turns OK as IIRC the structure of the wood gets modified but clearly behaves well.

Cheers
Bob

I can't edit it Bob as it brings up an error code, the annoying thing is I did do as the guide said on my first try but when I previewed it the photo was sidewards, so I altered the photo a little on my I-pad & redid the post but forgot to to put it in-line & as I say it doesn't now appear to want to let me alter it :eusa-doh:

Re the Accoya it turns surprisingly nicely considering it doesn't work that well with hand tools, I've found you just have to watch for soft spots which cut easier than other areas which can easily lead to ridges, but with care a nice finish is easy to achieve
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Sep 2017, 14:44

Weird, what error did it give you Doug? I've just sorted it for you anywa.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Doug » 01 Sep 2017, 14:52

It just said error in red & a few numbers, if I'm honest I didn't read the rest as I'm quite used to buggering up on computery stuff so just paged back :?

All I'd done on the edit page was click the in-line tab to put the code between the brackets & then removed the original code but when I clicked submit the error code came up.

Oh well I'll remember for next time, thanks for sorting it :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 01 Sep 2017, 14:59

Doug wrote:It just said error in red & a few numbers, if I'm honest I didn't read the rest as I'm quite used to buggering up on computery stuff so just paged back :?

All I'd done on the edit page was click the in-line tab to put the code between the brackets & then removed the original code but when I clicked submit the error code came up.

Oh well I'll remember for next time, thanks for sorting it :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Doug, during testing we did find that pictures from iAll-devices did have an extra layer of bu88eration associated with them but taking them with the volume control button at the bottom seemed to avoid the problems as did laundering them through iPhoto to sort out any orientation probs.

Anyway looking good now!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 01 Sep 2017, 16:43

I'd be interested to see how one veneers the curved surface of those pillars
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 01 Sep 2017, 17:06

See you took the corners off Doug was that to save time. Looking like a proper job and not a professional one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 01 Sep 2017, 18:49

Andyp wrote:I'd be interested to see how one veneers the curved surface of those pillars

From what Jon has said it will be done in a vacuum press, that said this isn't the finished shape of the pillars.
It will very interesting to see the finished kitchen as there are also some 8' high quadrant sections of a similar diameter for which he has made a jig to make them at his Wadkin overhead router.

From the sounds of things there won't be many straight lines in the kitchen & judging by the curved Rosewood veneered panels he has already made that will be incorporated it the doors it's going to be a very impressive kitchen
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 01 Sep 2017, 18:51

Dalboy wrote:See you took the corners off Doug was that to save time. Looking like a proper job and not a professional one :lol: :lol: :lol:

The removal of the corners wasn't down to me Derek, the blanks were that shape when I mounted them on the lathe.
Definitely not professional Derek, where's the fun in that :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 01 Sep 2017, 19:02

you have to knock the corners off .. it's the lore ! Norm Said so :D :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 01 Sep 2017, 20:45

Tusses wrote:you have to knock the corners off .. it's the lore ! Norm Said so :D :lol:

Dam I got it wrong again I thought he said cut corners :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)