It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:51

Am I alone

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Am I alone

Postby Dalboy » 10 Nov 2017, 19:34

I don't know but the last three weeks I just seem to have not spent time in the shed either turning or model making.
Just could not get up the enthusiasm to do anything .
Do any of you every get the same feeling.

Eventually I went out and turned a pen being something small and this seemed to do the trick and I am now back in there working on some soldier nutcrackers which once finished I will post.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Am I alone

Postby Mike G » 10 Nov 2017, 21:26

Yeah, often. I wait for my enthusiasm to return. That's one good reason why I am not a professional woodworker: I want to do it as enjoyment, not as a chore.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 10 Nov 2017, 22:06

Plenty else going on around here at the moment which I wont bore you with but workshop time is hard to come by. I have plenty I want to get started on but I hate leaving things half done but having a prolonged session in the workshop seems impossible at the moment.

Well done for making a pen Derek, all I managed this week was prepraring the blank for one and fitting the barrels.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 11 Nov 2017, 02:29

I am glad I am not the only one then.

Mike G wrote:Yeah, often. I wait for my enthusiasm to return. That's one good reason why I am not a professional woodworker: I want to do it as enjoyment, not as a chore.

Like you Mike I do it for enjoyment
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 11 Nov 2017, 11:38

Do you think it’s to do with the nights drawing in & the clocks going back Derek, my wife dislikes this time of year & complains of not feeling energised.
Personally I like the winter as it gives me more time in the workshop & apart from being able to get more work related stuff done it also gives me time to do the projects I want to do, I’ve just made a Xmas tree which while a little fiddly has been fun to make.
I’m hoping over the Xmas break to re-jig my tool storage, it’s the best time to do workshop related work as any other time of the year I need a functioning shop.

Doug.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 11 Nov 2017, 11:45

Having sorted out my workshop so that I can actually access machines and work in there, I made a couple of things - outside tap cover/box and replaced some rotten slats (with oak and SS bolts) on a couple of bench seats.

The seats look a bit odd at the moment but will darken with age.

One thing that I find discouraging is working when it’s cold, that can take some enjoyment from the process. One thing I am promising myself to do, is to complete at least one of the clocks I’m making!!
This is a photo of a finished one / but not mine:

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 12 Nov 2017, 10:53

Thank you Doug and Rod.

Mine I think is down to a not so good year rather than the night's drawing in. But at least I am hopefully back on track.

Nice clock Rod hope to see yours when you get it done. I have some plans for wooden clocks which I keep promising to make well maybe one day when I get some of the other "would like to build" done :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby justaskin » 13 Nov 2017, 08:19

Not Really join the clan
This time of year is for G&T's and hibernation.
Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby chataigner » 14 Nov 2017, 21:00

Yes, I can relate to that, motivation is all and i refuse to treat woodwork as an obligation - it would spoil it for me.

Currently making the components for the new staircase in the little town house I'm renovating - progress slow but sure. Photos in a day or two, but I refuse to be rushed...
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Andyp » 15 Nov 2017, 13:23

Mike G wrote: I want to do it as enjoyment, not as a chore.

Those were the words that I could not find the other day when someone asked me the other day why I do not make stuff to sell.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MJ80 » 15 Nov 2017, 20:56

I am desparatley searching for the enjoyment I used to find in it. At the moment I find it so hard to make decisions or follow what I am doing. It is frustrating as it is stuff I have learnt, loved and made a living from and now not being able to work through mental fug is frustrating. I can pinpoint when I lost the love and it became a grinding chore at the same time miss when my fingers used to sing to me while I worked without having to force what I am doing. Heartbreaking. I would love to be back to normal and be excited by what I have to do and be able to approach the mundane with the confidence I had before.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Tusses » 27 Nov 2017, 14:53

Andyp wrote:
Mike G wrote: I want to do it as enjoyment, not as a chore.

Those were the words that I could not find the other day when someone asked me the other day why I do not make stuff to sell.

yep .. it gets me this time every year. it's worse when you do it for a living, and "have" to do i t , inspired or not.

this year, I've just got a part time job at B&Q selling kitchens .. enough to cover the major bills

so I should be able to get back a bit of the joy of woodwork
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)