It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:25

turning a wooden snowman and tree

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

turning a wooden snowman and tree

Postby oddsocks » 28 Dec 2017, 22:32

Given my avatar is a set of wooden snowman I really should have created a video on how I turn them before now!

Over the years I've turned many hundreds of both painted and polished wooden snowmen for family and friends. One recently asked me if I had a video of making them, i didn't but do now......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjOnhMfKIwY
It's 13minutes long and shows the making of both the snowman and tree

IMAG0158.jpg
snowman and tree
(184.7 KiB)

Its my first video attempt and filmed using just a mobile phone in selfie mode. The occasional shake is because the phone is in a suction mount on a length of perspex that is taped to the lathe speed control (it was the best viewing angle)!

As you can see in the video, I really need to sort out the toolrest clamp as it keeps slipping and rubbing on the chuck.

The timber used in the examples is English beech sourced from a national trust woodsale, but as the photos at the end show, my early years examples (the ones we actually put out at christmas) were turned from any available softwood offcut.

A good thing about snowmen and trees is its actually better for each to be unique, so 'turn the shape the wood calls to you'.

Dave

PS - I didn't deliberately wait until after Christmas to post this, I only got asked last week to make it!!!
Last edited by oddsocks on 30 Dec 2017, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Re: turning a wooden snowman and tree

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Dec 2017, 23:30

Nice vid. I like the voiceover.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby oddsocks » 28 Dec 2017, 23:39

Thanks Malcolm - I've not used the photoshop video editor for at least 4 years so it took a while to work out how to do it! The first video I uploaded I realised (after I did it) that I'd forgotten to put the finished images at the start .....that took another 20mins to work out how to shift everything 'right' in the timeline to leave the space for the image with long enough to say hello.

The first benefit I realised with photoshop was that it could rotate videos 90 degrees and then let you set the pan and zoom (If I do another one I'll put the selfie in landscape mode and make life easier!). When I watch the video back I wish I'd had a rehearsal, but I only had two blanks left and a very cold garage so it was 'straight in'.

As is the way with youtube, I'm now watching many similar videos!

Dave

oddsocks
New Shoots

Postby Phil » 29 Dec 2017, 09:30

Dave, that looks good. :eusa-clap:

Thanks for posting the video, I have downloaded to view later.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rod » 29 Dec 2017, 10:30

Nice work and nice video

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Dec 2017, 13:10

Very nice Dave, I'll have to have a go at those next Christmas (or the one after, depending how long it takes me to finish the workshop eh Andy...!? ;) )

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 30 Dec 2017, 14:02

TrimTheKing wrote:Very nice Dave, I'll have to have a go at those next Christmas (or the one after, depending how long it takes me to finish the workshop eh Andy...!? ;) )

Cheers
Mark

Well at least you have managed to paint the windows today. Haven't you?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 30 Dec 2017, 14:05

Dave, thanks for making the video and sharing it with us. Those are simple but very effective. The painted ones look very cool too.

How do you have you dust extraction fixed? I could see at the start of your vid you were to move it and it stayed in place. I would love to see how it is mounted.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby oddsocks » 30 Dec 2017, 20:15

Hi Andy,
the extraction is pretty low tech! Its a length of 100mm 'stayput' hose http://www.axminster.co.uk/stayput-extr ... se-ax22323 connected to a 90 degree bend and then a length of normal 100mm hose long enough to reach where I can connect the normal hose ( that links to my chip extractor high volume low pressure extractor).

IMAG0162.jpg
lathe dust extraction
(88.64 KiB)

The bend is attached to a baseboard using the jubilee clip; this baseboard is heavy enough to keep everything in place.

PS
I've also fixed the issue with my tool rest. The post screws into the rest but whatever locking compound had been used had failed (I thought the issue was with the bristol lever but it wasn't). I completely unscrewed the post, cleaned it, added new threadlock and tightened it up again.
oddsocks
New Shoots

Postby Andyp » 30 Dec 2017, 21:16

Thanks Dave. I had never seen that before. I bit expensive for what it is though. Food for thought.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 30 Dec 2017, 22:49

Great video like the idea of the hose but have an idea how to make a holder for the flexible one I have.

I had the same problem with my tool rest also a Record one like you took it apart and cleaned then refitted no problem since
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby oddsocks » 30 Dec 2017, 23:04

Andyp wrote:Thanks Dave. I had never seen that before. I bit expensive for what it is though. Food for thought.

When I saw the price I was surprised! I bought mine probably 10 years ago and I think it was in a bundle offer so much cheaper. I've not used the whole 1m at the lathe, I've a shorter length (about 25 cm) attached to the planer thickenesser. As well as being 'stayput' if you twist it it can grip or release (20mm diameter range) - my main dust extractor hose has a rigid straight connector on the end, so once placed in the stayput the stayput is twisted to grip it and stop it falling out.

A quick google search shows that rutlands also sell a stayput hose - £18.95, so cheaper but it doesn't look as good (e.g. not got the twist capability) ....but if you just want 'stayput' with just a limited movement once in place its an option.

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)