It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:53

New toy

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

New toy

Postby Dalboy » 04 Jan 2018, 16:47

A new toy arrived today as I asked for money as Christmas presents so I could get things I wanted.

Got this airbrush to do some decorating of my turning this is for finer work not general coverage like my other one and finer than the other two cheapy brushes that came with the compressor. Made by Harder and Steenbeck and certainly feel like quality even if it is the cheaper one in their range.
Can't wait to play but other jobs to do first

DSCF8887 (800x600).jpg
(105.73 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: New toy

Postby Andyp » 05 Jan 2018, 20:41

If there is one thing better than a new tool it is a new shiny tool. I look forward to seeing what it can do.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby oddsocks » 05 Jan 2018, 23:28

That does look a nice shiny tool!

My wife (who does crafting stuff decorating boxes, nameplates , painting the snowmen I turn etc) asked me recently if I had an airbrush she could use. I do have a very cheap one (think £12) that takes the little glass bottle and runs on an aircan, but I've never had success with it. I did buy an attachment for my compressor but still get on with it.

Do you have any recommendations on what to look for, what sort of price to pay - it will typically be used for spraying panels rather arty design. Also what type of paints can be used (with my cheap system the small bottles of paint seem very expensive).
I did try a search on the forum for 'airbrush' but only got two hits - yours being one of them, so its a topic that could be useful.

Thanks

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 06 Jan 2018, 00:24

Thanks Andy.

oddsocks wrote:
Do you have any recommendations on what to look for, what sort of price to pay - it will typically be used for spraying panels rather arty design. Also what type of paints can be used (with my cheap system the small bottles of paint seem very expensive).
I did try a search on the forum for 'airbrush' but only got two hits - yours being one of them, so its a topic that could be useful.

Thanks

Dave

To start with I am only just getting into using an air brush so my knowledge is limited.

There are different brushes so lets start there are the single action where you press the button and air and paint come out, and there are the double action which this is one where you press down to get air then pull back to get the paint depending on how far back you pull the lever depends on how much.
In both of these there are yet another two types one is where you have a bottle underneath and the other is what is described as a gravity fed which has a cup perched on top.
Each type has it's uses
I use the single action cheap type with a bottle for largish covering and also for applying spirit stain on some of my work as well as covering for example a wide rim of a bowl. The other type which will take small amounts of paint is for finer work which this on is.
Price wise you seem to start at the £15 up to £30 which really is the cheap and cheerful ones then you jump up in price but with those you tend to find that you can change the needle and nozzle and get spares for. The set below this one I got is the same model but without the large cup and second needle and nozzle which runs out at £59.99.
As for paints you will need some very thin paints even though some may appear expensive it is surprising how far they go.

THIS may give some better information than I can. This is where I brought mine from
Some good videos HERE
Have a read through some of this Forum
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby oddsocks » 06 Jan 2018, 00:29

thanks for the info and links - iIll check them out tomorrow (off to bed now!) . I did a search in the UKW forum and found a few more posts that led me to this uk supplier that has a few useful videos and seems to be reasonably priced with lots of spares backup:
https://bartsharp.co.uk/
but your links look to have a whole lot more info.
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 06 Jan 2018, 01:34

oddsocks wrote:thanks for the info and links - iIll check them out tomorrow (off to bed now!) . I did a search in the UKW forum and found a few more posts that led me to this uk supplier that has a few useful videos and seems to be reasonably priced with lots of spares backup:
https://bartsharp.co.uk/
but your links look to have a whole lot more info.

It is a bit of a minefield so much to take in
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 06 Jan 2018, 14:28

Looks like very nice kit Derek.
:D

I bought one of these a number of years ago to do some spraying on my model railroad kit.
(price was the deciding factor 'Scrooge' :lol: )

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/products/ai ... CUQAvD_BwE

I run it off a small compressor with no storage tank, therefore continuous feed. Works ok for me.
Small compressor and tank is about ZAR2k, not an option.

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Dalboy » 06 Jan 2018, 20:11

Phil wrote:Looks like very nice kit Derek.
:D

I bought one of these a number of years ago to do some spraying on my model railroad kit.
(price was the deciding factor 'Scrooge' :lol: )

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/products/ai ... CUQAvD_BwE

I run it off a small compressor with no storage tank, therefore continuous feed. Works ok for me.
Small compressor and tank is about ZAR2k, not an option.

Phil

That is the one I have for general coverage and spraying stains
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 09 Jan 2018, 14:51

oddsocks wrote:Do you have any recommendations on what to look for, what sort of price to pay - it will typically be used for spraying panels rather arty design. Also what type of paints can be used (with my cheap system the small bottles of paint seem very expensive).

Thanks

Dave

There is an American guy who has his own website. He’s tested dozens of air brushes and if memory serves he recommends Badger airbrushes. Sadly I can’t seem to find his site at the moment but I’ll keep looking and post a link if I can find it. One bit of advice, the entry level airbrushes of even the premium brands are often made in China and no where near as good.

Found it:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

Dons reviewed over 40 airbrushes and still prefers Badger Airbrushes.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 09 Jan 2018, 16:50

Woodster wrote:]
One bit of advice, the entry level airbrushes of even the premium brands are often made in China and no where near as good.

Not sure about Badger but the Harder and steenbeck are made in Germany
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)