It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:25

Start Up Kit

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Start Up Kit

Postby mabazza ritchie » 17 Mar 2018, 15:28

Hello,

I posted this in the General Woodworking category and it was suggested I post it here;

It has been a bit of a challenge but I have scraped together enough cash to get myself a decent lathe and tools etc., as I was working with borrowed equipment before (Small Jet VS lathe). I am looking to turn mostly large functional bowls, platters, vases and the like. I have around £2,000 to spend and that is to include everything - lathe, tools, chucks, dust extractor. A sharpening station would be nice although I will try and get one second hand (not included in my budget). My thoughts were to buy a Record Power CL4 PK/A. Does anyone use one of these lathes, if so what are the general thoughts on it? I ideally want something with a swivel headstock/outboard turning capability.

If anyone can recommend good turning tools (and sizes) and also chucks I would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks in advance,
MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Start Up Kit

Postby Dalboy » 17 Mar 2018, 19:05

I have a CL3 and find that I can do most of the things I ask of it. It is however the older version that has the 3/4" X 16 thread and a 1 MT. Most lathes now are heading towards the metric thread of 33mm and 2mt.
Our club has one of THESE and if I was to upgrade I would certainly buy one. The problem for you is that it is near to your budget without any accessories. They also do one without the legs which would then allow money for other items.
If you also at a later date decide to harvest your own wood then things like bowl savers can be used on it
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 18 Mar 2018, 05:44

Thanks for the suggestion. I think that lathe looks like a fantastic machine, but unfortunately not in my price bracket. I already harvest my own wood and down the line would be keen to purchase a bowl saver. Do theybwork on all lathes? Although at present will have to do without. If anyone has more suggestions I'm all ears!

MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 18 Mar 2018, 11:53

mabazza ritchie wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I think that lathe looks like a fantastic machine, but unfortunately not in my price bracket. I already harvest my own wood and down the line would be keen to purchase a bowl saver. Do theybwork on all lathes? Although at present will have to do without. If anyone has more suggestions I'm all ears!

MR

As I said they do that model with out legs but you then would need a good bench HERE.

With bowl savers if you go to various sites of different manufacturers they normally tell you the size of machine that is needed most of it is down to motor size tool post size and the mt size as the old cl4 and cl3 will not be in that range

HERE is the one our club has just brought
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 18 Mar 2018, 14:21

I will give Ax a phone tomorrow. The site quotes about £1600 lathe only. But the magazine article attached quotes that price including legs or £1200 lathe only. See what they say.

I'm concious of my (lack of) skills when it comes to building a bench sturdy enough for that. Although I may not rule it out. Will keep my eyes out for one 2nd hand potentially.

MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 18 Mar 2018, 14:28

Something that seems to become more widely used now is the thread size of 33mm and a 2mt. So it may be a good idea whatever lathe you go for to try and buy with that in mind
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Mar 2018, 13:44

Dalboy wrote:Our club has one of THESE and if I was to upgrade I would certainly buy one.

I have that particular lathe and can certainly recommend it, but I was advised to buy the ci legs as well, principally because they add a lot of mass to the lathe. It does though, push up the amount of hard earned folding that you'd need to find :( - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Mar 2018, 13:48

mabazza ritchie wrote:I will give Ax a phone tomorrow. The site quotes about £1600 lathe only. But the magazine article attached quotes that price including legs or £1200 lathe only. See what they say.
Will keep my eyes out for one 2nd hand potentially.

MR

That magazine article is pretty old, hence the price discrepancy and I suspect you won't have much luck in finding a second hand VS1628. I have a pal who recently bought one and he was looking for ages and couldn't see anything anywhere that was on offer - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 19 Mar 2018, 13:57

mabazza ritchie wrote:
I'm concious of my (lack of) skills when it comes to building a bench sturdy enough for that. Although I may not rule it out. Will keep my eyes out for one 2nd hand potentially.

MR

I really wouldn’t worry. I’ve built several very solid benches just by bolting the legs and braces together with coach bolts and then panelling the ends. Two bits of 18mm ply makes a very solid top. My metalworking Lathe sits on one of them.
Attachments
DF19F96B-8610-467E-92BF-D3CB78D66077.jpeg
(100.56 KiB)
6F9F02E4-E82E-4D4D-9CB2-E6B4788CD166.jpeg
(132.13 KiB)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 20 Mar 2018, 07:15

I just found the same article on another site; apparently from 2013! So, that definately explains the price rise.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 20 Mar 2018, 07:28

I had meant to ask if anyone has any (evidenced) opinion about RP CL4 PK/A lathes. I don't know how i feel sbout the bed being two solid bars as opposed to a flat casting. They are readily available and within budget but I'm undecided. Apparently there is no stock of their Maxi-1 models until next month, as an aside.

MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil » 20 Mar 2018, 12:43

Austin, building a sturdy stand is easy (even I could manage that! :lol: )

Have a look at this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=899

Phil

{Edit - fixed all the foto links}
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby mabazza ritchie » 20 Mar 2018, 20:51

I have managed to acquire a load of 75mm x 50mm batons and also some 100mm x 50mm so I am sure I could knock something together whether with that or weld a contraption together in steel.

I spoke to Simon Hope woodturning today about the Kilinger Twister FU180 and Stratos FU230. The 230 is OB but the 180 is a possibility. They look like a cracking lathe. I am waiting to find out if he has any customers near me that would be willing to let me go and have a look; for the difference in cost from a CL4 to that I think I would rather sacrifice my favourite coffee for a few weeks to make up the difference. Anyone have any thoughts on these lathes? School boy (eons ago) German is not the best for interpreting online YT videos.

MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby wallace » 24 Mar 2018, 11:49

For that kind of money you could have a wadkin RS with variable speed
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 28 Mar 2018, 19:24

Just a quick update - I have eventually bought a lathe which comes next week with any luck, I went a bit over budget but I just won't tell my wife! I really like long handled tools for turning and wondered if anyone has any recommendations? Mostly for bowls and platters, the odd spindle. I see all the selections available and really have no idea with regards to sizing. I don't live near any suppliers so its difficult to get 'hands on' with tools without buying them online, so I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Mar 2018, 20:10

I am glad you have made a decision but you cant tease us like that. :) watcha got coming?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby mabazza ritchie » 28 Mar 2018, 21:14

Oh, sorry - i bought a Kilinger Stratos FU-230. The retailer said there was a supply issue with the standard bed length so they will upgrade it to the longer version foc.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil » 29 Mar 2018, 08:14

Very nice, had a look at the specs 8-) (first had to find the EN button, my German not that great)

Wish you lots of very good spinny years with the lathe. :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodster » 29 Mar 2018, 13:13

mabazza ritchie wrote:I really like long handled tools for turning and wondered if anyone has any recommendations? Mostly for bowls and platters, the odd spindle. I see all the selections available and really have no idea with regards to sizing. I don't live near any suppliers so its difficult to get 'hands on' with tools without buying them online, so I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Make your own or buy a collet handle?

https://youtu.be/iJX6bdk6xMw
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 Mar 2018, 13:47

I am already looking forward to your review.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby mabazza ritchie » 29 Mar 2018, 14:44

Thanks for the video about the handles; really interesting. I think i may give that a try as luck would have it I have some ash pretty much that dimensions. Although i did buy a couple of starter tools today.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodster » 29 Mar 2018, 21:27

mabazza ritchie wrote:Thanks for the video about the handles; really interesting. I think i may give that a try as luck would have it I have some ash pretty much that dimensions. Although i did buy a couple of starter tools today.

This is the second part of the handle video where he finishes it.

https://youtu.be/Mjd2rP9qX5Q
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 30 Mar 2018, 03:18

Woodster wrote:
mabazza ritchie wrote:Thanks for the video about the handles; really interesting. I think i may give that a try as luck would have it I have some ash pretty much that dimensions. Although i did buy a couple of starter tools today.

This is the second part of the handle video where he finishes it.

https://youtu.be/Mjd2rP9qX5Q

Not so sure I would be up for blow torching whilst in amongst all that wood dust/chips!
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 30 Mar 2018, 12:03

mabazza ritchie wrote:
Not so sure I would be up for blowtorching whilst in amongst all that wood dust/chips!

You would as Jimmy did clear up the shavings (even though you don't see him do it you can see the workshop is clean) before doing any work with the blowtorch either that or take the turning off and do it outside.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 30 Mar 2018, 14:11

I was quite surprised with all that spraying, that he didn’t cover the lathe bed etc??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)