It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:50

Start Up Kit

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Re: Start Up Kit

Postby mabazza ritchie » 04 Sep 2018, 12:43

Thanks for the replies! I had discounted 3phase as I have no idea about it so it is very kind of you to offer assistance. There is a Rojek PK315 3 phase currently for sale within budget. Has anyone come across these before? The Harvey saws that Axminster are to sell, are they going to be hobby, trade or industrial ranges?

Thanks
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 Sep 2018, 13:41

Rojek are Eastern European professional kit. Axi used to sell them one time and maybe still do? Rob will possibly know.

The machine you mention is a bit of a beast for a garage workshop unless you have a double one
typical foot print is 2m x 3m
The motor is 5.5hp which is going to need a beefy supply to run it so you will most likely need to run in a 32amp supply direct from the consumer unit.
If you can stick to 3hp/2.2kw and below and with a 3 phase inverter it will run on a 13amp plug. at that sort of power you are more looking at 10" blade.

hth
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Sep 2018, 15:07

mabazza ritchie wrote: The Harvey saws that Axminster are to sell, are they going to be hobby, trade or industrial ranges?

Thanks

I saw one in the Photographic Studio at AxHQ some time ago when the company first imported one for a 'looksee'. It's an impressive bit of kit and a cut above the normal Trade offerings but probably not industrially rated...'Enhanced Trade' perhaps :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 04 Sep 2018, 18:21

The Rojek one does look like quite the beast. I have plenty of 16amp sockets but 32amp is just another hassle.

I phoned Axminster to enquire about their Harvey saw which is due for release in November. It is going to retail between £2600 and £2800 i think they said. So well over budget. The 10inch Axminster saw bench would be manageable cost wise but I am going to have a good rummage on the auction site for any good 3phase machines. If anyone happens to spot a good buy do let me know!

As an aside, what do people seal the end of green wood logs with once cut prior to turning? I tried water and pva which didn't work. I have also got parafin wax which seems ok, but flakes and cracks off. Another thing I have tried is Titebond 3 - i was given a 5ltr jug and it seems to work well.

Cheers
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Sep 2018, 19:18

mabazza ritchie wrote:
As an aside, what do people seal the end of green wood logs with once cut prior to turning? I tried water and pva which didn't work. I have also got parafin wax which seems ok, but flakes and cracks off. Another thing I have tried is Titebond 3 - i was given a 5ltr jug and it seems to work well.

Cheers

I bought some cheap candles (not fork 'andles :lol: ) melted them down in an old saucepan and dunked logs in it to seal the end grain; seemed to work quite well. El cheapo PVA also works but TB3 is perhaps a bit OTT but OK if it was a freebee - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 04 Sep 2018, 20:00

I got the slow cooker on tonight with some parafin wax candles in it - melted a treat. I brished it on and seems to stick much better for me than dipping it in. Don't know if it has something to do with being worked into the rough surface or not. The TB3 was bought by a mate but he decided he was a Gorilla Glue man and gave me the remainder.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 05 Sep 2018, 07:47

Folks,

There are quite a few Wadkin AGS10, Startrite and Ax Plus 3 phase machines for sale all at varying prices. Does anyone prefer one make over another? If so, why? Just trying not to waste my cash! There are plenty of other brands I have seen but I get the impression are more of a 'last a couple of years and replace' type machine. I maybe wrong/a tool snob!

There is a Startrite which required rewiring, but it is available for c. £250...

Thanks in advance.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Sep 2018, 08:07

Wadkin or startrite for me
Converting from 3 phase to an inverter will need rewiring any way so that one is not a disadvantage at all.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Macnab » 04 Oct 2019, 12:06

mabazza ritchie wrote:Evening folks,

Rather excitedly I took delivery of my new lathe today. It took a lot of effort to get the pallet truck across my gravel driveway, although leap-frogging some chipboard made it marginally easier. I will update once I have it all together and set up. It is covered in oil which I intend to clean off. Would I be best to use white spirit to do so?

Thanks
MR

Hi MR
I am seriously considering buying the fu230 but can’t find any reviews from anyone how has lived with the lathe for any period of time ! Could you please give me your thoughts and how it has performed since owning it ?
Cheers
Macnab
Macnab
Seedling

Name:

Previous

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)