It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:42

Near Miss

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Near Miss

Postby mabazza ritchie » 22 Apr 2018, 07:42

Morning,

I just thought I would see what the general consensus was on catches when hollowing out a bowl with a gouge. I was turning a large beech bowl yesterday and every time i started a cut on the wall of it, i would get a catch. However, when on the bottom of the inside there was no issue. Could it be that my sharpening (freehand) is making an irregular angle thus causing issues or is it just ineptitude?

It resulted in the bowl launching itself across my workshop and me having to move quite quickly!

Thanks.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Near Miss

Postby Phil » 22 Apr 2018, 07:49

mabazza ritchie wrote:Morning,
I just thought I would see what the general consensus was on catches when hollowing out a bowl with a gouge. I was turning a large beech bowl yesterday and every time i started a cut on the wall of it, i would get a catch. However, when on the bottom of the inside there was no issue. Could it be that my sharpening (freehand) is making an irregular angle thus causing issues or is it just ineptitude?

It resulted in the bowl launching itself across my workshop and me having to move quite quickly!
Thanks.

Austin can't comment on catching.

Glad it did not hit you. Did you have your face protection on?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Near Miss

Postby mabazza ritchie » 22 Apr 2018, 09:03

Thankfully I did have on my airsheild helmet/visor. The footing of the bowl broke off in the chuck sending it airborne. I managed to rescue it though so all was not lost! It has just lost a bit of diameter! I dare say this wont be my last disaster!
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)