It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:29

Ash Hollowform (using my new Crown Revolution tool)

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Ash Hollowform (using my new Crown Revolution tool)

Postby selectortone » 23 Apr 2018, 15:03

As promised, here's the hollowform I turned yesterday using my new toy, the Crown Revolution hollowing system with my custom made handle. I finished it on the lathe with polishing mops and carnauba wax this morning.

It's a two piece hollowform, as per the demo at my woodturning club last week. The shape is roughed out, then it's parted into two with a tenon on the top part. The main bowl section, and the neck part, are hollowed out separately, with a mortise formed on the bottom part to accept the tenon in the top part. Then the two pieces are glued back together (I used medium superglue) and the shape is finished. The join is disguised with some strategically incised rings, burned in with a guitar string.

The attraction of this method is that it's more easy to turn a piece with a narrow neck, and shavings can be cleared much more easily. Some attention is needed to forming a good tight joint as you need to do some turning on the reassembled piece, and with grainey wood you need to line up the grain as much as possible when reassembling.

One benefit is that if you make the neck narrow enough other turners can't put their fingers in there and check the finish inside :mrgreen:

Anway... here it is. Good fun to make. I managed to line the grain up reasonably well. It's just over 6" tall:

selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Re: Ash Hollowform (using my new Crown Revolution tool)

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Apr 2018, 15:29

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Apr 2018, 15:30

Very nice that mate :eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 23 Apr 2018, 17:11

Nice one Terry, burning rings is so simple yet so effective. I use copper wire.

So how was the tool? Did you find it easy to use?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby selectortone » 23 Apr 2018, 17:34

Thanks guys!

Andy - so far so good, I found the tool quite easy to get on with. It's broadly similar in function to the Rolly Munro Wundercutt tool, which I've used before when I had some lessons a while ago. That's a VERY nice tool to use but way out of my league to justify cost-wise.

I watched Mark Sanger's excellent video on youtube which was a big help. It's all in the angle you present the cutter to the wood. I already have the Simon Hope hollowing tool which uses a 5mm carbide bit; I find the Revolution tool leaves a much better finish, whereas the Hope tool, being smaller, is useful for small spaces. It's nice to have both!
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Woodster » 23 Apr 2018, 18:36

Very nice job mate! :D
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 23 Apr 2018, 21:20

Great job on the hollow form I have the sovereign as well and find it a great tool.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Apr 2018, 21:42

Sorry to be picky, but those rings don't look the same distance apart. That's a bit unfortunate, because I now can't see anything else.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)