It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:48

Couple Bits in Elm....

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Couple Bits in Elm....

Postby Woodbloke » 18 May 2018, 21:32

No.1 son has recently jumped onto the property ladder and has bought a two bed flat in Bermondsey, South London and is currently sorting it out with fixtures and fittings. To that end, he's bought some reasonable stuff from OFL which required self-assembly. What he didn't do was to get hold of some decent screwdrivers, so the rubbish ones he bought from Tescos were instantly mangled after driving a couple of screws...hence the first item which is a simple 'driver in Elm fitted with an Ax bit holder and a selection of Pozi bits as well as a couple of flat jobbies.

IMG_1202.jpg
(400.71 KiB)

The second item was for a holder to contain some JL cork coasters...and ''could dad run me up something, please?" Oak was the preferred material, but I couldn't find anything suitable, so I made this using a chunk of elm.

IMG_1200.jpg
(528.15 KiB)

This was straight forward to do apart from the fact that the walls had to be parallel, the internal corner square and the base flat. I was stumped on this one so I went for the Crown Cryo Side Scraper

IMG_1201.jpg
(182.53 KiB)

...to do the job. I was nattering to a mate of mine from Devizes this afternoon who's a pro turner and he mentioned that this was the right tool for the job, but also said that it's pretty tricky to produce a 90deg internal corner. It gave a decent enough finish on the inside and the base was sanded with a Flexipad sander. Finish is with a couple of coats of satin Osmo-PolyX with some CHT Swedish beeswax over the top - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Couple Bits in Elm....

Postby Dalboy » 18 May 2018, 22:30

A couple of great small projects, really like the screwdriver handle with the flats to stop it rolling
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 18 May 2018, 22:39

Your boy must be growing up and becoming house proud if he’s into coasters!

Nice work

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 May 2018, 06:55

Very nice Rob, the flat on the screwdriver is a nice touch. How did you cut the slot for the coaster holder?

I have recently come to the same conclusion about 90% degree internal corners.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 19 May 2018, 08:16

Andyp wrote:Very nice Rob, the flat on the screwdriver is a nice touch. How did you cut the slot for the coaster holder?

I have recently come to the same conclusion about 90% degree internal corners.

Andy, the finger slot in the coaster was simply cut on the bandsaw and the curved section in the base marked out, then cut with a Knew Concepts piercing saw wot I normally use for dovetails. It was then a question of smoothing everything off with fine rasps, files and sandpaper.

The 90deg internal corner was a real bugger to sort out and I didn't really have much of a clue how to make it, but then I was nooddling around on the Ax site and came across that side scraper, which I thought looked the perfick tool for the job. The main part of the interior was cut with a standard bowl gouge, after which came the side scraper. That said, it's a fairly steep learning curve as it will cut on two faces (side and base) at the same time, depending on where and how the pressure(s) are applied to it. It gave a decent finish on the elm side (never easy to turn) which required minimal sanding and the base was easier to finish with the Flexipad attachment in the flexible drive - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 19 May 2018, 08:19

Rod wrote:.... and becoming house proud...

Rod

That is the surprise of the decade! :D :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)