It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:16

Tormek Diamond Wheel

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Tormek Diamond Wheel

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Jan 2019, 23:31

I'm thinking of purchasing a coarse diamond wheel to replace the existing Supergrind wheel on my T7 Tormek.
Whilst the 360g coarse wheel will be fine for regrinding plane and chisel bevels, will it be suitable for putting a working edge on turning gouges, even when they're honed inside and out using the leather wheel(s) on the machine?

My guess is that the edge may be too rough, even with honing :( in which case an additional Extra Fine wheel may be needed :( :( - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Tormek Diamond Wheel

Postby Dalboy » 28 Jan 2019, 02:21

I run a coarser grit than that on my record 6" grinder and it is great for sharpening my turning tools. The only tools that I hone are my carving chisels they have never been ground on a grinder they only ever get touched upon a 1,000grit wet stone if they get too bad before going back to a strop.
My turning tools never get honed but the skew and scrapers I will use a small diamond card to touch up other than that the rest go on the grinder as I stated above.
I would leave the Tormek as it is and use your grinder that means you have the best of both worlds.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 28 Jan 2019, 08:50

First I’d check to see how easy it is to remove the original stone, I refurbed my T7 a couple of years ago the stone & shaft had become one due to corrosion, if it hadn’t have been for my engineering mate putting it in his lathe & cutting out the shaft I’d have had to replace the stone as well as the shaft

92F4AE72-D2A3-4A70-9B1E-3525B12258C8.jpeg
(323.99 KiB)

AF74BE3E-4375-4DA1-8B39-900CBA4E4292.jpeg
(273.23 KiB)

Fortunately the new shaft was stainless steel
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 Jan 2019, 11:01

I believe Derek Cohen over on UKW converted his grinder to Diamond wheels, perhaps contact him.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 28 Jan 2019, 11:14

Put the money toward a Sorby Proedge instead Rob. :eusa-whistle: You can change grits at will, depending on the job at hand. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Jan 2019, 11:24

Woodster wrote:Put the money toward a Sorby Proedge instead Rob. :eusa-whistle: You can change grits at will, depending on the job at hand. ;)

I had one for a while, probably one of the worst investments I made :cry: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Jan 2019, 11:39

Doug wrote:First I’d check to see how easy it is to remove the original stone, I refurbed my T7 a couple of years ago the stone & shaft had become one due to corrosion...

Thanks Doug, I've just tried it and the stone came off the shaft easy peasy; no corrosion either so I guess on my T7 they may have swapped over to a SS shaft? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Jan 2019, 12:42

Woodbloke wrote:
Woodster wrote:Put the money toward a Sorby Proedge instead Rob. :eusa-whistle: You can change grits at will, depending on the job at hand. ;)

I remember you buying it Rob. What has turned you against it?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 28 Jan 2019, 14:27

I also use small diamond cards to touch up the edge of my turning tools, no need to visit the grinder for quite a long time.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Jan 2019, 14:48

Andyp wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

I remember you buying it Rob. What has turned you against it?

The absolutely appalling jigs that came with it and the complete inability to accurately, emphasis on accurately, grind a plane or chisel bevel. This Ax post from 2015 gives an indication of just how accurately you can grind a bevel with the Tormek; I found this is impossible to do with a Pro-Edge - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 28 Jan 2019, 19:30

I agree the pro edge isn’t for accurate grinding of plane irons & bench chisels I definitely prefer the tormek for those, the pro edge comes into its own for turning tools for which I prefer a flat grind & whilst I generally grind free hand the tormek finger nail jig works great on the pro edge.

I’d be interested in how you get on with the diamond wheel if you get one, it seems the logical way to go if you are going to use the tormek for turning tools as I found grinding gouges on the tormek meant I was dressing the stone a lot as it lost its squareness quite quickly.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 28 Jan 2019, 20:21

The best grinder I’ve used for chisels and plane irons is the horizontal stone type that all workshops seemed to have when furniture was made entirely with hand tools. Tools can be used straight off the grinder without honing. Sadly the only one I know of still in use is in a school where a mate works. Slow speed wet grinders are dreadfully slow for wood turning tools and virtually unusable for changing profiles. On top of this you have to keep redressing the stone that gradually gets smaller. I’ve not got a Sorby Proedge, I use a larger belt and disc sander and haven’t had any problems sharpening things like plane irons and chisels when I’ve needed to. To be honest though I haven't done any flat work in years that I can think of.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jan 2019, 10:41

Woodster wrote:The best grinder I’ve used for chisels and plane irons is the horizontal stone type that all workshops seemed to have when furniture was made entirely with hand tools.

That's a Viceroy, had one in my 'shop when I was teaching. Nice bit of kit for rapid re-grinding of plane and chisel bevels. It used to use a very thin, pongy reg lubricating oil as I recollect - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Feb 2019, 22:18

Just checked on the Ax site; the wheel is on backorder, del in a month :( - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)