It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:50

Sweet Chestnut?

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Sweet Chestnut?

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Mar 2020, 18:27

On the way back from having my hair chopped the other day, I noticed that a Sweet Chestnut was coming down on our estate, so I asked the lads doing the job if I could have a wheelbarrow of timber when the three came down. I subsequently went back a few hours later and snaffled a few nice chunks, so I've got a couple of decent bowl blanks from the main trunk (with some figuring in the heartwood) and a few other smaller bits of limb wood. With some difficulty I used my froe to split the big bits and then rough turned the bowl blanks, which are now under a big tarp to season.

My question is what is Sweet Chestnut like to turn? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Sweet Chestnut?

Postby Doug » 18 Mar 2020, 20:33

Quite a few years ago I was fortunate to be given a sweet Chestnut tree the had blown over, it was covered in burrs, it turned really nicely.

This was my entry for the AWGB gallery at their 2013 seminar

AF867789-F758-4AA8-A817-7D634C4B0783.jpeg
(43.69 KiB)
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Sweet Chestnut?

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Mar 2020, 22:55

That's really nice! No burrs on this tree and it was quite a small one but the green timber was very creamy with an attractive brown streak running through a small part of the heartwood, so I'm hoping it'll look good when it's turned - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)