It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:55

Fruit Bowls

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Fruit Bowls

Postby Dalboy » 12 Oct 2014, 14:59

I thought I needed some largish but shallow fruit bowls so spent the last couple of day trying to make three of them, well one of them ended up in the bin as it was just too punky which is a shame as it would have been nice to save(I tried all the usual trick but with no joy).
At least I got two bowl one of Oak and the other is Beech

The Oak one is 10 1/2" X 2 1/2" finished with melamine lacquer and the Beech one is 10" X 2 1/2" and finished again with Melamine lacquer

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Fruit Bowls

Postby Andyp » 14 Oct 2014, 11:21

That is just the shape if bowl that I hope to be able to pruduce from two pieces of cherry that I will take to my woodturning course tomorrow.

What did you use in the centre of the beech bowl?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 14 Oct 2014, 19:52

Andyp wrote:That is just the shape if bowl that I hope to be able to pruduce from two pieces of cherry that I will take to my woodturning course tomorrow.

What dud you use in the centre of the beech bowl?

The centre is copper cut to a circle heated and beaten then flattened then checked for round and adjusted before cutting the recess in the bowl.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Oct 2014, 14:39

Love that copper insert accent, very nice indeed.

Have you sealed it in any way to stop oxidisation?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dalboy » 15 Oct 2014, 17:25

I sealed it all with three coats of thinned melamine lacquer I had to pour some finish in the bottom first and kept the bowl moving so that there was a very thin coat over the copper as well as the wood kept the bowl at an angle so that I could spread it with a soft lint free cloth on the wood.
If I tried to wipe it straight onto the copper it seemed to pick up from the copper and spread a nasty mark across the wood (Don't Ask)
Because I thinner the lacquer it spread nice and easy just meant more coats. Once the first coat had totally dried it was back to applying as per normal
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)