It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:46

Tutti-fruitty

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Re: Tutti-fruitty

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 Nov 2014, 10:44

Oooooh check out the spangly artefact!

Nice Rob

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 19 Nov 2014, 11:27

Nice Rob especially as I have some nice dry apple waiting to be turned. Unfortunately mine is only about 30mm thick which is why I am looking for some suitable dark timber to sandwich between two pieces to get a suitable depth.
My apple, is a lot paler than those bowls so I guess you have stained them or the finish has darkened them up a bit.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 19 Nov 2014, 14:37

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:My apple, is a lot paler than those bowls so I guess you have stained them or the finish has darkened them up a bit.

I didn't do anything special to stain them Andy. The applied finish has probably darkened them a tad, but not much. Pics were taken without flash with daylight behind me, so it's a reasonable representation of the colour.
Have a care when you turn it though….it's extremely hard and tough (used to be used for golf club drivers years ago) - Rob

It was also a wood of choice for gear teeth in flour mills, very hard wearing, but no danger on a spark.

Nice bowls, I think the food safe finish is not really required, once your usual finish is dry there should not be any transfer, food save is needed on things that could be put in your mouth, ie spoons.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby DaveL » 19 Nov 2014, 19:57

Sounds a bit like our large son, used to have a Thomas the tank engine bowl, kept for breakfast, he could get 3 shredded wheat in and then top it off with 2 weetabix.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 20 Nov 2014, 16:03

A couple of very nice turned fruit bowls. Done a great job on the design feature by using the gold to highlight the fault. Finish has a great sheen to it which to me is best suited to this application. :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)