It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:05

Craft Fair

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Craft Fair

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Dec 2014, 23:31

I had a stall at the craft fair at the Guildhall in Salisbury yesterday and managed to sell a few bits and pieces. Having returned home, I decided to keep the three bowls shown in the pic as they're quite respectable.

The larger one is from Turkish walnut and the two smaller ones from holm oak (an evergreen oak) which I bought at Stourhead earlier in the year. On one of the bowls, the green bit is a groove made with a parting chisel and then filled with green glitter mixed with epoxy, then sanded off in the lathe - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Craft Fair

Postby RogerS » 04 Dec 2014, 07:18

You'll be able to buy the turkey now then, Rob ? :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Dec 2014, 09:05

Rob, when you say epoxy what do you use. Is that the two part stuff, like Wests?

I think I need to progress a bit before I start doing fancy decorations like that but one for the memory bank.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Dec 2014, 10:32

RogerS wrote:You'll be able to buy the turkey now then, Rob ? :D

We poor, hard up pensioners have got to make a crust somehow Rog, but I can keep warm now I've got me Winter Fuel Allowance from Dave.gov.com :lol:

Andyp wrote:Rob, when you say epoxy what do you use. Is that the two part stuff, like Wests?

I think I need to progress a bit before I start doing fancy decorations like that but one for the memory bank.

It's the cheapest of el cheapo epoxies from Poundland (so it costs a pound for a toob of harder & adhesive :D) but surprisingly, it's quite good stuff so is my 'go to' epoxy these days. The glitter I bought from a crafty type shop, so I just mixed it all up and used a lolly stick to drop it into the groove. Let it set hard for about 15mins then re-turn and sand smooth. Dead easy and nothing difficult at all, but quite an interesting effect once done - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 04 Dec 2014, 14:29

It's great when you can sell some bits and use it to towards the shed funds. The three pieces you have kept look great especially the walnut one the grain is spectacular.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)