It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:02

Myford ML8 , where is the seriel number ?

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Myford ML8 , where is the seriel number ?

Postby tracerman » 12 Feb 2015, 21:09

Reading Wallace's Wadkin RS restoration has made me get off my backside and my lovely old Myford ML8 , which has been de-cabineted and stood on its end for 17 years , has been lifted onto the bench for restoration ( de-rust , strip down for re-painting , possibly new bearings , and a new supporting bed and table ) I would like to find the seriel number in order to date it , but also as I may have to buy spares .
Can some kind soul tell me where to look please ?.

Thanks
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: Myford ML8 , where is the seriel number ?

Postby Phil » 13 Feb 2015, 18:17

There should be a plate of some sorts with the serial number and year of manufacture on it.
These are usually just stuck on with double sided tape and would not last a long time.

What is on the motor?

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby tracerman » 13 Feb 2015, 20:06

Phil et al - I should explain about this lathe . I bought it in the eighties from a guy in Fawley (Nr Southampton) . He told me that it had been made up from parts of at least one other ML8 > I didn't mind as it was what I wanted ( I am assuming that the headstock and tailstock are an original pair ) at the time and served me well for about ten years until I ran out of space and the home made cabinet on which it stood was scrapped after which it was stood on its end . I read somewhere recently that the serial number might be on the " base of the tail stock " , there is evidence of a stamped number on the base of the tailstock "saddle" but it looks as though during re-painting the number has been rubbed away during over-zealous paint stripping . Also , the motor is a metallic blue whereas the lathe in general is cream colour . ( would the original Myford motor have been painted cream to match ?) .
The Hoover motor details are : H/C motor to BSS 170/39 , Type 7361HAR606NI , Serial number 96000 TV ,
single phase 1426 RPM 1/2 HP .

If anybody knows where the serial number might be stamped into the castings ( ?) I would appreciate knowing .

Phil - thanks for your comments . Perhaps even though there might have been a sticker the number was stamped into the metalwork as well ? .

Comments welcome .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 13 Feb 2015, 21:46

On a "proper" myford lathe (ML7 series) :lol: the serial number is on the right hand end of the front bed shear and it is stamped on.
Given the myford pedigree, I would assume something similar for the ML8.

Your referred earlier to possible needing to get spares. I presume you know the original myford business has been wound up and the name has been sold to RDG who have a few ML7 spares but are not formally supporting the old product range.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby tracerman » 13 Feb 2015, 22:21

Bob - thanks for your input . Yes I was expecting to find numbers stamped into the metal somewhere on the main headstock casting , that being presumably the "permanent" or most signifigant component with the tailstock coming a close second , but as yet nothing found .

I discovered Myfords were closed some years ago , don't think its a problem .

Do you know if the original Myford motor would have been Hoover ? , ( the motor on my old Multico mortiser is also a Hoover ) , just wondering .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 13 Feb 2015, 22:37

Hoover made a lot of fractional horsepower motors both single and 3 phase that were fitted to a wide range of machines in the 50s and 60s.
My ML7R came with a crompton motor purchased in the late 70s

A year or so ago I was assisting Dick M to find a replacement motor for his ML8 and he needed a flange mount motor. I don't know if his was an original or not.

I don't recall seeing a hoover motor with flange mounting, they have all been foot mount only.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby tracerman » 13 Feb 2015, 23:59

OK Bob and Phil - I will press on with stripping the paintwork and general cleaning which will take a while .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)