It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:53

Stop It

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Stop It

Postby Dalboy » 23 Mar 2015, 18:40

I spent yesterday cutting up a couple of burrs that I knew would fall apart if I attempted to turn them whole. So I ended up with this little lote from the two most are pen blanks the largest is 3" square cross section

OK been back in the workshop wanted to turn a little of the burr I cut up so took one of the 2"square pieces and turned this wine stopper from the end of it. I also tried to pick the end with some small holes in it to try some of the metal powder.
I am pleased with the texture of the powder as it filled even the smalles of holes and also the effect it gives, in this case I used the copper. I also had the chance to try Chestnuts gloss spray and this I found easy to apply and with thin coats left a nice finish.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Stop It

Postby Andyp » 23 Mar 2015, 18:48

I am not familiar with metal powders. I assume they must be mixed with some sort of glue before being used the fil any holes.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 23 Mar 2015, 19:31

Andyp wrote:I am not familiar with metal powders. I assume they must be mixed with some sort of glue before being used the fil any holes.

They are THESE ones, they can also be brought seperate. How I applied them is to put the powder into the holes first by putting a little over the hole and gently rubbing it in untill it is full then apply thin CA glue and let it wick into the powder once dry either finish the turning or sand down, Apply finish as usual.
As you can see they do finish with a little shine. I still have to try the brass and ali ones yet
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Mar 2015, 19:53

Nice effect, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 23 Mar 2015, 20:49

Are you planning to turn all of those? :shock:

There are one or two there that look like they'd fall apart if you just picked them up, let alone spun them on a machine.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 23 Mar 2015, 21:29

Mike G wrote:Are you planning to turn all of those? :shock:

There are one or two there that look like they'd fall apart if you just picked them up, let alone spun them on a machine.

Yes they all will go on the lathe at on time or another. The smaller ones will be pens which will have brass tubes inserted through them and any voids filled with metal powder of which I posted a link to, or saw dust.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 23 Mar 2015, 22:12

Oh very nice, I like the metal infill, I have some to try, but the thin super glue has set in the bottle.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)