It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:14

TAKEN:Calling all wood turners. FREE Apple Wood

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

TAKEN:Calling all wood turners. FREE Apple Wood

Postby 9fingers » 24 Mar 2015, 13:27

I used to have a large apple tree in the garden approx 100 years old which died a few years back and I cut it down to leave a stump around 900 mm above ground with a vague idea of it being turned into a table base or something.

With my current project of building a fruit cage, it is in the way and I have just attacked it with a chainsaw and this is the result.

Plan view cut surface uppermost - ruler 12"/300mm

and in elevation - ruler 900mm/36"

There are some areas of worm/rot around the outside but the core looks solid to me.

I've no idea whether this is something of any use to turners or if it is just firewood (we don't have an open fire but I could possibly freecycle it even though the wrong time of year)

Given the size it would have to be a collect only from Romsey (SO51 5RS). With guidance of how it should be cut, I could chainsaw it into smaller pieces but it would be hacked as I only have a small crosscut chainsaw.

Frank opinions and offers to collect welcomed. I can possibly keep it for a month say if I get a binding commitment that you will collect.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Calling all wood turners. FREE Apple Wood

Postby Mike G » 24 Mar 2015, 22:23

Turning seems such a waste of that wood. It obviously should be made into teeth for the local mill.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Mar 2015, 22:31

Mike G wrote:Turning seems such a waste of that wood. It obviously should be made into teeth for the local mill.

You are most welcome to it Mike for whatever purpose. I don't think we have many mills near here apart from Eling tide mill which is currently closed.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby big soft moose » 24 Mar 2015, 23:51

If Mike doesnt take it, i'd be happy to take that off your hands bob (I'd happy swap it for a plank of burr oak or something if you wanted)

collection wouldnt be a problem - you are about an hour and a half away since i moved to the Blackdowns (near honiton)

My thinking would be to usea bit of it as in a demo of teeth making for our watermill, and turn the surplus (incidentally weird fact of the week did you know that tradditionally one tooth of the main drive wheel was made from elm... the idea being that should the mill happen to runaway with itself this tooth would break under the load and act as a fail safe)
big soft moose
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Mar 2015, 08:48

big soft moose wrote:......since i moved to the Blackdowns (near honiton).........

Gorgeous spot. I love it there. My aunt and uncle used to live in a cottage in the woods in the Blackdowns, with a fake (fibreglass) thatched roof. What a little piece of paradise that was.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Mar 2015, 12:13

big soft moose wrote:My thinking would be to usea bit of it as in a demo of teeth making for our watermill,

I'd like to see that.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: TAKEN:Calling all wood turners. FREE Apple Wood

Postby 9fingers » 25 Mar 2015, 12:32

OK Thanks for the responses both in the thread and direct.

I have decided that Pete (Big Soft Moose) should have the main lump on the grounds of first expression of positive interest and a a good application (IMHO)

And Rob who asked directly, just after Pete, can have the decent off cuts as I took the thing down in two stages.

I hope everyone is OK with this decision.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rob » 25 Mar 2015, 13:58

Brilliant Bob...thanks for that :-)

Will you be able to stick it in the boot when you come up Friday? I shall certainly make you (or Mrs 9 fingers if you prefer) something circular and appley for the trouble :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rob » 25 Mar 2015, 14:01

By the way I saw Terry at kiddy drop off this morning and he's bumped a meet with the chairman of a well known private bank to be with us on Friday!!
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 25 Mar 2015, 14:08

Rob: Thanks For the update. Yes I will bring it up on Friday. I was just about to PM you but you've saved me the effort.

Cheers

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby big soft moose » 31 Mar 2015, 20:23

Andyp wrote:
big soft moose wrote:My thinking would be to usea bit of it as in a demo of teeth making for our watermill,

I'd like to see that.

I'll try and do either a wip or a video (it won't be me doing the work - that will be one for our millwright)
big soft moose
Seedling

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)