The place to be to discuss Scrolling and other artistic forms of Woodbutchery

Blades

Postby Phil » 15 Feb 2020, 09:25

This is one for Gill

Looking at what is available:
Reverse tooth
Spiral
Straight

What would you recommend for thin wood? Thicker?

Makes?
Flying Dutchmen?
Niqua?
Pebeco?
Joseph Haundstetter?
China? (without any viruses)

(yes I appreciate it is a mine field ................ :o )
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Blades

Postby StevieB » 15 Feb 2020, 11:36

I have always gone for Flying Dutchmen blades. Tried spirals but a nightmare to keep on line for timber so I tend to go with superior puzzle blades for jigsaws and a standard blade for anything else, going up in size the thicker the timber. Reverse tooth is fine to stop fuzzies on the bottom.

It is only when your timber is thicker than the length of the saw blade oscillation that you start to have a problem with sawdust clearance - go slower, use a larger blade size and consider packing tape round the piece for lubrication of the blade.

Pegas blades get good reviews also, but I have not tried them. Try to avoid anything from a DIY shed or pinned.
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Gill » 15 Feb 2020, 15:40

Reverse tooth blades do help to prevent burring (I should have mentioned that on the other thread) but some scrollers find they can also lift the wood whilst cutting. If the wood is thin that might not be a good idea.

I'd just use a standard blade because sawdust clearance shouldn’t be an issue. As for the brand... I haven’t bought any new blades for years because I still have lots from the days when I was a more active scroller. I’m not sure if Mike Moorlach is still in business selling his Flying Dutchman brand any more. I liked those even if they were just rebranded Niqua blades. Nowadays most 'Murrican scrollers seem to use Pegas or Olson blades, which I always thought were a tad pricey. I suggest you look for a source of Niqua blades; the blades Hegner UK used to sell were rebranded Niquas and I suspect if you find a reputable retailer selling own-brand blades they will probably be Niquas.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful but my knowledge isn’t as current as you need.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Phil » 16 Feb 2020, 07:20

StevieB wrote:It is only when your timber is thicker than the length of the saw blade oscillation that you start to have a problem with sawdust clearance - go slower, use a larger blade size and consider packing tape round the piece for lubrication of the blade.

Thanks.

I had that one when doing the reindeer.
The last lot of cutting was 20mm pine.

My Hegner oscillation can be adjusted, I am currently on the longest stroke.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 16 Feb 2020, 07:24

Gill wrote:Reverse tooth blades do help to prevent burring (I should have mentioned that on the other thread) but some scrollers find they can also lift the wood whilst cutting. If the wood is thin that might not be a good idea.

I'd just use a standard blade because sawdust clearance shouldn’t be an issue. As for the brand... I haven’t bought any new blades for years because I still have lots from the days when I was a more active scroller. I’m not sure if Mike Moorlach is still in business selling his Flying Dutchman brand any more. I liked those even if they were just rebranded Niqua blades. Nowadays most 'Murrican scrollers seem to use Pegas or Olson blades, which I always thought were a tad pricey. I suggest you look for a source of Niqua blades; the blades Hegner UK used to sell were rebranded Niquas and I suspect if you find a reputable retailer selling own-brand blades they will probably be Niquas.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful but my knowledge isn’t as current as you need.

Thanks Gill.

I can get locally (not close to home) Niqua & Pebeco.

Will e-mail them an inquiry and check on availability and prices.

I can order from O/Seas but prefer to support local suppliers.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 18 Feb 2020, 18:25

Ok!

So the half-wit who works in the garage got low enough to clean under the machine.

Yes! There it is!!!!!! :lol:

The whole Hegner story of blades, speeds & manufacturer .....

Hegner_Info.jpg
(42.16 KiB)

Quite embarrassing :oops: :oops: :oops:

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Gill » 18 Feb 2020, 19:16

Pebeco = Niqua.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Phil » 20 Feb 2020, 19:04

Gill wrote:Pebeco = Niqua.

I have sent off an inquiry to the local Hardware Centre to see what stock they keep.

They are also the local Hegner people.

Phil
Old Oak

Return to Scrolling