It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:40

Monk's Bench (or Settle) FINISHED

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Monk's Bench (or Settle)

Postby riclepp » 10 Jul 2017, 18:42

I say Mr Pinch

Where have all your pictures gone all I can now see is a image where the pictures were saying 3rd party hosting or summat like that.....there's bewitching going on here!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Life is always giving you a second chance, it's called tomorrow.
riclepp
New Shoots

Name: Richard Leppard

Postby Pinch » 10 Jul 2017, 19:21

Hi Richard, yes, a big pain in the backside. I should be up and running with uploading images very soon and I will replace all the lost images with new ones. Meanwhile, a short vid is below... 8-)

UPDATE:

Since I still can't yet upload images, I've rustled up a very short slide film of the plaque I finished last week.

This has taken me quite a while to make... I firstly started off with one lump of wood (I was having a blonde moment) and then realised I would be better off with three pieces as I was aiming to replicate the sample picture my client sent to me. I then made the top and bottom pieces with no issues (I shall upload detailed photos when I can), but the letters were a pain. This was mainly due to wanting to make the letters identical to the sample picture - but with reservations within the dark depths of my mind. The problem is/was, I was working with oak (not the greatest wood for carving) and a much much much smaller version to that of the sample photo, which is also marble. Establishing the shape and entwined feature was no problem, but forming the lip around the outer edges of the letters was where the problem was always going to be. My first attempt was looking pretty good and then, I lost a corner (swear words!) - not good - in the bin it went. On my second attempt, I didn't want to risk it, so I formed a chamfer around the outer edges but it didn't look right (more swear words!) - not good - in the bin it went. My third and final attempt was to leave it be!!! The basic shape is very similar to the sample picture and the letters are showing the entwined feature, but the edges have been left as they are and she's looking pretty darn good.

I've created the 'bowl' look with some nice chamfer work to replicate the trefoils in the bench sides.

Anyway, less rambling on, here is a short slide film of the finished plaque.

[youtube]fhQC9wn0CUw[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhQC9wn0CUw

Right then, off for a live chat with 1&1 about image hosting... :|

Report back soon.

Cheers,
8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jul 2017, 19:47

Nice! I 'liked' it on YT!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Tusses » 10 Jul 2017, 19:57

I like that Paul :-)

but I don't like the way smilies don't work on here ! lol :-(
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 10 Jul 2017, 19:59

Tusses wrote:I like that Paul :-)

Of course the smilies work :)

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 10 Jul 2017, 20:05

Very nice Paul. And using youtube as an image host, clever :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Tusses » 10 Jul 2017, 20:06

9fingers wrote:

Of course the smilies work :)

Bob

you are so new skool Bob ! lol

:-P
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 10 Jul 2017, 20:07

Andyp wrote:Very nice Paul. And using youtube as an image host, clever :)

oooh ! now there's a thought ! :-D
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Jul 2017, 12:46

Smilies work fine mate, you're adding in a nose, miss the nose out and they convert just fine. don't do This : - ( just do : ( (without the spaces of course) and it will work.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Tusses » 11 Jul 2017, 16:02

TrimTheKing wrote:

Smilies work fine mate, you're adding in a nose, miss the nose out and they convert just fine. don't do This : - ( just do : ( (without the spaces of course) and it will work.

Cheers
Mark

haha , I know Mark :-) or maybe :-p .. I've just always done them that way, from the days of Usenet .. old habits 'n all that ! ... I could easily just click on the smilies over there ====> :eusa-doh: :lol:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

:text-lol:

:eusa-dance:

:mrgreen:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 11 Jul 2017, 19:42

On Tapatalk you get some/most smilies but also written ones too like:-

:eusa-doh:
:text-lol:
:eusa-dance:

Where do they come from?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 11 Jul 2017, 20:24

Oi, are you lot on a hijacking trip! :x

How very dare you! :P

:eusa-shifty:

:eusa-hand:

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 11 Jul 2017, 20:35

Pinch wrote:Oi, are you lot on a hijacking trip! :x

How very dare you! :P

:eusa-shifty:

:eusa-hand:

Sorry Paul .. as you were ...

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 11 Jul 2017, 20:51

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They'll all be doing it tomorra!

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 11 Jul 2017, 22:59

I'll bring it back on track [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

That plaque looks smashing Paul... Look forward to seeing the bench when the image shenanigans are all sorted [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 12 Jul 2017, 08:37

Thanks Jim 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 20 Jul 2017, 20:26

Two weeks later...... (((((YAWN YAWN BLINKIN YAWN!!)))))) :P :P :oops: :oops: :twisted: :twisted:

:eusa-violin:

I just might be, that's "might be" sorted with this image hosting - yippee!!! :eusa-drool:

After many chats on the phone to the Support Team at 1&1, I was finally told an easy route in using the FTP Account. The trouble has been... most of the people I've actually spoken to have been in a support call centre abroad somewhere and yep, you've got it... trying to understand these lovely chappies is a 100% categorical unmistakable fully bulletproof as sure as my ar$s is pointing downwards nightmare! Agreed.....?? Indeed... :shock:

Where are those blood pressure tablets.

Eventually, a very nice English chap told me what to do...

Upload the images into FTP Webspace... then download them onto the computer... then right click, 'Copy link address' and straight into here smack in the middle of those darn lovely little [IMG][IMG] things.

Or at least... I hope this is going to work. :lol:

Time will be the hunter of this little one I guess... :eusa-doh:

Tonight, I've replaced a few of the lost images at the beginning of this thread and so far so good.

Fingers crossed.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jul 2017, 20:34

Pinch wrote:
Tonight, I've replaced a few of the lost images at the beginning of this thread and so far so good.

Fingers crossed.

I'm afraid not Paul. Before declaring success with photos you will need to clear the cache on your PC and then try otherwise your computer will see them because they reside in the cache.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :D

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Pinch » 20 Jul 2017, 20:35

Oh my word... I don't believe it. :o

After writing the above post, I double checked the new images I've just posted and guess what.... they've gone! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew I shouldn't have written 'spook' in reply to one of Rich's posts a few weeks back. :P

Right that's it - wheres me beers!

YouTube it is then....
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 20 Jul 2017, 20:38

9fingers wrote:
Pinch wrote:

Fingers crossed.

I'm afraid not Paul. Before declaring success with photos you will need to clear the cache on your PC and then try otherwise your computer will see them because they reside in the cache.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :D

Bob

:lol: :lol: It's okay Bob - I'm getting used to it. :lol:

I don't know what cache is... I thought I had some with my sausages and beans tonight. :lol:

Oh matey... I think I'l go off and be grumpy somewhere.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Jul 2017, 09:43

Pinch wrote:...Upload the images into FTP Webspace... then download them onto the computer... then right click, 'Copy link address' and straight into here smack in the middle of those darn lovely little [IMG][IMG] things. ...

Nope! Either he doesn't understand what you're trying to do, doesn't know what he's talking about or you've misunderstood. If you download them to your machine then link to them then only you will be able to see them.

I think he meant you UPLOAD them from your computer to the webspace, then link to them from there.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Tusses » 21 Jul 2017, 12:03

TrimTheKing wrote:
Pinch wrote:...Upload the images into FTP Webspace... then download them onto the computer... then right click, 'Copy link address' and straight into here smack in the middle of those darn lovely little [IMG][IMG] things. ...

Nope! Either he doesn't understand what you're trying to do, doesn't know what he's talking about or you've misunderstood. If you download them to your machine then link to them then only you will be able to see them.

I think he meant you UPLOAD them from your computer to the webspace, then link to them from there.

Cheers
Mark

^^^^ yeah that ^^^

at least , that is what he should have meant ! lol

if you link to an image on your PC, only you will think everything is hunkydooory ! , no one else, or even you on a different device, will not be able to see them
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 21 Jul 2017, 19:32

TrimTheKing wrote:

Cheers
Mark

Ah ha! I phoned them on this occasion because I had already uploaded images from my PC to the Webspace FTP Account, then downloaded the Filezilla Client (as instructed) and this was when I couldn't go any further - hence my phone call (again). The rep (different one but still the FTP department) asked me what I was trying to do, so I explained to him in plain English and he said I would not be able to do this from the FTP because the website (forum) was external to 1&1. It apparently only applies if the website is internal, which I found very annoying. He then went on to say is all I have to do is download the images from my FTP onto my PC and and transfer straight onto an external website. I asked him to repeat it twice and I then said it back to make sure I got it right and he said a big 'yes that's it'. Well, what a plonker he is then! :P

I'm now trying something else...
Last edited by Pinch on 21 Jul 2017, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 21 Jul 2017, 19:41

Tusses wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:

Cheers
Mark

^^^^ yeah that ^^^

at least , that is what he should have meant ! lol

if you link to an image on your PC, only you will think everything is hunkydooory ! , no one else, or even you on a different device, will not be able to see them

I'm now trying the way you did Rich a couple of weeks ago when this all started. You copied the image address from one of the images on my website and transferred that way, which seemed to work until I deleted my old website.

This morning, I posted the first 4 images at the beginning of this thread before leaving for work. I checked the ipad downstairs and they were showing. I believe they still are. What I did was create a new page on my website for image storage which I have also put into hiding. When I need to post up more images onto the forum, I'll firstly upload them onto my website, make the page 'live' while I open the image into a new tab, copy the image address and post onto the thread. After which, I then put the web page back into hiding. I think it's working.... :eusa-pray:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Jul 2017, 19:51

Yep that sounds right Pinch.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark