It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 15:04

Orangerie guttering

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Orangerie guttering

Postby RogerS » 30 Jun 2020, 17:40

Not having laid out something like this before, I faffed around for ages thinking about how to do it thinking that I needed a level datum line from which to work out the slope offsets. I don't have an 8m spirit level. My laser level wasn't bright enough to work in daylight. A chalk line, while giving a straight line marked onto the fascia required me getting the two endpoints level. Then :idea:

I have a 1.8m spirit level. That's about a 3mm drop for a 1 in 500 slope. So add a 3mm spacer to one end.
Image. Then make all the supports the same height. Fit one at the furthest point from the downpipe. Fix it one to the fascia. Stick the spirit level up to it with the 3mm spacer against it. Level off and mark the new line at the ed of the level. Fit the next block there, rinse and repeat.

One side finished and guttering in position.
The short side went in very quickly as did the rest of them.

All finished...guttering all the way round and both ends connected to the outlet. I had to go buy some more downpipe to cutdown to make those 'L' shaped pieces as I'd not realised just how large the vertical needed to be as one neared the outlet. I gaily went and sliced my 4m length into equal quarters. Bad idea. But I can reuse those to cover the top of the 'moulding ply' and tuck down onto the guttering to provide that seal I was looking for.

Since fitting them, we did have a few hot days and they did expand but went back down again. There is some twist in them but that's easily fixable - either temporary while I'm making up the 'moulding ply' or I wait until that is fitted.

It all seems watertight. I need some decent weather to fibreglass over the top. I'm also mulling over adding some layers of fibreglass in certain places as my slope on the roof . ..never that steep in the first place..doesn't really work that well because of the lip created by the white plastic overlays.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
RogerS
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Jun 2020, 18:22

Normally you just get the high end as high as possible, fix a bracket, and then go to the low end and fix another bracket an inch or two lower down. Then pull a sting tight between them and fix the intermediate brackets to the string line.
Mike G
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Jun 2020, 21:35

Mike G wrote:Normally you just get the high end as high as possible, fix a bracket, and then go to the low end and fix another bracket an inch or two lower down. Then pull a sting tight between them and fix the intermediate brackets to the string line.

That's my trouble, Mike. I over-think and over-engineer !
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
RogerS
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP