It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:53

Nakashima 'Mira' Box

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Nakashima 'Mira' Box

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Apr 2015, 12:21

Finished this morning, my daughters 30th birthday present. This is my version of George Nakashima's jewellery box which he first made for his daughter Mira, some time in the mid-50's. This one has been made in quarter sawn English oak, Indian ebony and holly from the Stourhead estate. Slight 'wagon bevel' finger lift spokeshaved onto the underside of the lid, originals didn't appear to have this feature.

The box open to show how the 'stop' at the rear works and the mirror, together with the unpolished holly dividers. The glass is 4mm with a 50degree bevel on it and the holly frame around it has a 45 deg bevel on the mating edge, so the mirror is held very securely just below the level of the lid.

A side view of the box:

...and one showing the underside with the long ebony feet:

I realised I'd made yet another goof because the panel is going the wrong way to allow for possible movement when the feet are glued. I got round it by scraping a slight hollow (fag paper thickness) in the centre of each foot so it touches at the ends and then gluing only by around 25mm in the centre of each foot.

Initials and date in Roman numerals burnt onto the underside. Nothing complicated about the construction, just housings done on the router table. Finish is two coats of satin hardwax oil with Renaissance wax over the top - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Nakashima 'Mira' Box

Postby RogerS » 26 Apr 2015, 12:40

I dunno, Rob. One of these days you're going to make a really lovely piece. Keep practising! ;)

Seriously, your skills and workmanship never cease to amaze.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Apr 2015, 18:30

Nice work Rob.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby chataigner » 27 Apr 2015, 09:05

Lovely work Rob, nice gift. The holly dividers are really nice, can you find holly that wide easily ?
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2015, 09:46

How are the dividers joined Rob? Do you use cuts across half the with of each piece and slot together or is something better needed to keep such thin wood from moving over time.

You use the term wagon bevel and put it in quotes as something unusual and then don't either tell or show us what it is. Please could you expand on this sort of thing so we can learn at the feet of the master. :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Apr 2015, 10:00

Zooming on the pic it looks to me like an elliptical bevel that almost doesn't exist as a bevel at the ends and widens out to around 5mm in the middle.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 27 Apr 2015, 10:16

Lucky girl.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Apr 2015, 10:58

chataigner wrote:Lovely work Rob, nice gift. The holly dividers are really nice, can you find holly that wide easily ?

David, I bought a small log in the round from Stourhead last year (about 230mm dia) and converted it on my big Startrite b/s...not recommended by the way as the wet sawdust doesn't extract well with consequential tracking problems on the blade. I put it into stick for about a twelve month and to say that it twists and splits like a breakdancing zombie on steroids is a slight understatement, but at the end I was able to get out some nice stuff for boxes etc. Once dry, it's rock steady and really nice to use.

9fingers wrote:How are the dividers joined Rob? Do you use cuts across half the with of each piece and slot together or is something better needed to keep such thin wood from moving over time.

Bob

Simple grooves about 1mm deep and 4mm in the box sides, Bob, done on the router table and glued with a tiny dab of glue when assembled.

TrimTheKing wrote:Zooming on the pic it looks to me like an elliptical bevel that almost doesn't exist as a bevel at the ends and widens out to around 5mm in the middle.

Cheers
Mark

Correct Mark. I don't know if this is the proper term, but it's a technique that the old wooden waggon builders used in days of yore, simply to lighten the framework. The bevel starts at nothing in the corners and is about 4mm deep in the middle. I don't think it can be done by a machine but it only took about 5 mins with a spokeshave to do and clean up

The only thing I've got to do now is to source some puce pink :o wrapping paper and get it posted to her work address 'oop narth'. Last year's gift (Turkish walnut box) was wrapped the same way but she had the last :lol: when she opened it - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2015, 11:08

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:How are the dividers joined Rob? Do you use cuts across half the with of each piece and slot together or is something better needed to keep such thin wood from moving over time.

Bob

Simple grooves about 1mm deep and 4mm in the box sides, Bob, done on the router table and glued with a tiny dab of glue when assembled.

Thanks Rob
Are the intersections between dividers done in the same way with minuscule grooves too?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Apr 2015, 11:13

9fingers wrote:Thanks Rob
Are the intersections between dividers done in the same way with minuscule grooves too?

Bob

Yep, exactly the same way..as the dividers are only 5mm thick, the grooves each side to form the 'crosses' in the centre are only about a mm deep. More than that and it starts to get a bit 'iffy' from a strength point of view. They were shot to fit using the shooting board -Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2015, 11:18

Agreed. Somewhat surprised you did not go for the full challenge of a 4 way mitre at each intersection :lol:

Not sure about the screws to retain the mirror. Maybe bevelled edges on the mirror and secured with mirror adhesive instead but I realise you are copying/influenced by an existing design and wanted to follow that perhaps.

Anyway far better than anything I've produced to date - especially lately as I've been in horticultural woodwork mode! (but I have been using a few hand tools though!)

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Apr 2015, 11:55

9fingers wrote:
Not sure about the screws to retain the mirror. Maybe bevelled edges on the mirror and secured with mirror adhesive instead but I realise you are copying/influenced by an existing design and wanted to follow that perhaps.

Bob

I was really struggling about finding a way to fix that mirror in place and I wasn't sure how to go about it so I thought a mechanical method of fixing was better than using adhesive. It's pretty secure and there's no slop which is the main thing and it's easy enough to replace if it gets broken.

9fingers wrote: ...but I have been using a few hand tools though!

Bob

Salvation is upon you...be at peace! :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby stephen.wood125 » 27 Apr 2015, 12:29

Yet another cracking job, Rob.

lovely work nice combination of woods, I really like QS oak.

:text-bravo:
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby Rod » 27 Apr 2015, 19:20

Nice work Rob

Very simple design, if quite crude but very effective and nicely executed.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Apr 2015, 20:53

Rod wrote:Nice work Rob

Very simple design, if quite crude but very effective and nicely executed.

Rod

If you have a look at his site a lot of the stuff is a bit clunky and crude, but I thought his Mira box was a little unusual which is why I did my version. Originals sell for mucho thousands of $$$$$'s :shock: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 27 Apr 2015, 22:35

That is one nice box well executed and finished :eusa-clap:

Just looked at that site some nice stuff on there
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 Apr 2015, 20:33

Very nice Rob, way beyond the skill level I could ever hope to reach.

I looked at the site you linked to and I see the box your one was based on seemed to have the mirror fitted without the screwed section (which to be honest is not my favourite thing about your box). Any ideas how they did this?

All the best Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Apr 2015, 21:02

Wizard9999 wrote:Very nice Rob, way beyond the skill level I could ever hope to reach.

I looked at the site you linked to and I see the box your one was based on seemed to have the mirror fitted without the screwed section (which to be honest is not my favourite thing about your box). Any ideas how they did this?

All the best Terry.

Not a clue Terry, but probably some form of adhesive. I did a bit of reading around and it seems that adhesive may (dunno if it does) remove or damage the mirror backing, so I decided to play safe and go for a mechanical method of fixing. If it does ever get broken, it's easy enough to replace - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 01 May 2015, 12:12

Woodbloke wrote:
Wizard9999 wrote:Very nice Rob, way beyond the skill level I could ever hope to reach.

All the best Terry.

Not a clue Terry, but probably some form of adhesive. I did a bit of reading around and it seems that adhesive may (dunno if it does) remove or damage the mirror backing, so I decided to play safe and go for a mechanical method of fixing. If it does ever get broken, it's easy enough to replace - Rob

Well, irrespective of damage if it is stuck in place it would be a real PITA if it ever broke and needed replacing, so I can see why you did not want to go down that route.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Wizard9999 » 25 Nov 2016, 16:51

Rob

I always remembered this piece of yours as I really liked it. I wondered if you can remember what the rough dimensions are?

Thanks.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 25 Nov 2016, 17:35

Based on the grain detail and the 5mm thick dividers, I'd guess at around 250mm square - ish and 75-100 deep?
12mm thick sides perhaps?
Am I anywhere near Rob?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Nov 2016, 18:28

9fingers wrote:Based on the grain detail and the 5mm thick dividers, I'd guess at around 250mm square - ish and 75-100 deep?
Am I anywhere near Rob?

Bob

About right Bob, dimensions aren't critical as long as it looks about right and is capable of containing some sparkly bling. It's residing in Carlisle at the moment but I can find exact dimensions if they're needed - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Nov 2016, 10:40

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:Based on the grain detail and the 5mm thick dividers, I'd guess at around 250mm square - ish and 75-100 deep?
Am I anywhere near Rob?

Bob

About right Bob, dimensions aren't critical as long as it looks about right and is capable of containing some sparkly bling. It's residing in Carlisle at the moment but I can find exact dimensions if they're needed - Rob

Thanks Bob and Rob, "about" is more than good enough for me!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Return to Projects & WIP