It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:45

New router table

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

New router table

Postby chataigner » 23 Jul 2014, 13:07

I've just finished a new router table. I didnt want ot give up floor space to one since I have a spindle moulder and tend to use the router table for small stuff - so I've built a stow-away version that clips on to the edge of a bench and can be removed and put in the cupboard below when not in use.

It sits partially in front of my chop saw, but doesnt prevent me using it at the same time. The router is Triton which has above table height adjustment and access to the collet for bit changes.

Dust is a bit of an obsession for me, so 100mm connection to the dust collection system is a must, there is also a 40mm tube coming up from the plastic dust collector kindly provided by Mr Triton to fit below the table. Seems to work really well - pretty much 100% collected.

The fence clamps to the edge of the table to allow coarse adjustment, and has a screw adjuster for fine tweaks. The 10mm thread has a 1mm pitch which translates to 0.5mm movement of the fence at the middle per turn - I used this on my old router table and it worked fine.

The two fence panels also slide from side to adjust the opening. They are secured by recessed bolts and wing nuts. It is also a few mm clear of the table surface to allow for dust and chips. They could also be swopped for a sacrificial fence when needed.

As you can see, it's all raw mdf at the moment (except the table itself which is a 10mm mdf surface on a piece of salvaged kitchen worktop) and I plan to give it all a coat or two of clear poly to reinforce the mdf. Is polyurethane varnish the thing to use ? Other suggestions welcome.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Re: New router table

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jul 2014, 13:09

Oooooh now I like that idea a lot!

May well be stealing that! :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 23 Jul 2014, 13:52

Seconded. A very good idea to save space. I too may have to copy.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 23 Jul 2014, 16:02

Most of the jigs I've made using MDF I've left unfinished but I suppose PU should be fine.

Nice ideas.

Mine's based on Norm's design base which was only going to be temporary and a Woodpecker top.
Still in use 10yrs later

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby carlb40 » 23 Jul 2014, 19:26

Excellent idea and great job on it. :)

I think when i did my top in mdf, i used danish oil / wax on it.
carlb40
Seedling

Name: carl

Postby fred » 25 Sep 2014, 12:20

Bonjour David,
Thanks for pointing me to here from my router table thread.

I like the thread info, that's made me remember and realise something that'll be incorporating in my build. and I like how you've rigged up the fence. Something very similar will be used on mine.

Would you mind explaining the use of the long threaded bar? Is it to raise and lower the router and bit? If so, how does that work, and could you show it with some pictures? And does the router just screwed to the insert plate and hangs underneath?

Santé! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP