It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:46

1st project in new workshop

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

1st project in new workshop

Postby chataigner » 23 Jul 2014, 13:10

This was posted elsewhere a couple of weeks ago, but I kept the file, so here it is in it's intended home ....

It's a folding step stool to allow LOML to reach the top cupboard in our living room. She is 5' 8" tall, but the cupboard is floor to ceiling...

All joints except the bridle joints at the tops of the legs are wedged M&T. The quarter sawn board I had set aside for the tops turned out to be wee bit smaller than I thought and so as not to mix boards and risk colour differences, I turned a problem into a feature and fitted small sections with spaces between and so managed to make both tops from the one board.

The inner section is hinged by the bolts you can see and there is a stop inside one of the larger section's legs to hold it when folded so that you can lift the whole thing without the inner section dropping through.

I'm reasonably pleased with the joinery, but very disappointed with the finish. I used a spirit stain as I didnt fancy sanding back raised grain on such a fiddly assembly if I used a water based stain. It dried so fast that try as I did, I could not get round fast enough to avoid "second coat effect" here and there. It doesnt really matter for a utility piece, but I know it is not up to standard. Danish oil next time perhaps ?
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Re: 1st project in new workshop

Postby Andyp » 23 Jul 2014, 13:50

Nicely executed and very practical too. I have used danish oil a lot and enjoy its simplicity to apply. Can take a while to dry between coats which for the impatient, me, is sometimes a downside
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jul 2014, 13:57

Andyp wrote:Nicely executed and very practical too. I have used danish oil a lot and enjoy its simplicity to apply. Can take a while to dry between coats which for the impatient, me, is sometimes a downside

Agree with Andy, it's a nice job…well made and practical. I've never use D oil but the Liberon Finishing Oil instead, which I understand is similar but probably a bit less 'gloopy'. Same goes for stain…I never use the stuff - Rob, aka 'woodbloke'
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 23 Jul 2014, 14:06

Hey, that's a pretty clever design, and done well. And the M&T joints look great from here. Can you pick it up with the step folded in, without the step dropping down?

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby chataigner » 23 Jul 2014, 14:49

kirkpoore1 wrote:Hey, that's a pretty clever design, and done well. And the M&T joints look great from here. Can you pick it up with the step folded in, without the step dropping down?

Kirk

Yes Kirk, there is a stop on the inside of the one of the outer section legs that hold the inner section horizontal when folded.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby fred » 23 Jul 2014, 14:57

I like that.
Very handy things.
I've got an old 1950's metal version in the workshop. But it doesn't look half as nice as yours ;)

Bon Journée,
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP