It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:54

Keep this one to yourselves.

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Keep this one to yourselves.

Postby Mike G » 16 Jan 2016, 14:44

9fingers wrote:Are all those glazed panels flat or are there some compound curves needed?

Bob

No, the glazing isn't flat. The panels have straight, but non-parallel edges. Apparently it is do-able, but it will cost mega-bucks.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2016, 14:49

Mike G wrote:
9fingers wrote:Are all those glazed panels flat or are there some compound curves needed?

Bob

No, the glazing isn't flat. The panels have straight, but non-parallel edges. Apparently it is do-able, but it will cost mega-bucks.

I'm sure it will. Especially for double/triple glazing. two or three panels curved whilst remaining parallel.

CNC glass bender maybe if such a thing exists?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 16 Jan 2016, 19:00

It's the client who has had the conversation with a glazing manufacturer and said that this should no longer be a constraint, so I haven't delved into the ins-and-outs of it yet. It does free things up design-wise, but I suspect that we could be talking an extra £50,000 or so: we'll see how long the enthusiasm for that lasts.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2016, 11:10

Looks amazing Mike, thanks for sharing. Look forward to hearing how the client conversation goes...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 17 Jan 2016, 11:32

I wonder if you might be best steering away from curved windows- not just on cost grounds
There could be a focussing type problem as experienced by the "walkie Talkie" building in London and also when viewing through adjacent panes, the view could be non continuous due to lens effects. This would make the view jump in steps as the observer passed each frame section.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2016, 12:22

9fingers wrote:I wonder if you might be best steering away from curved windows- not just on cost grounds
There could be a focussing type problem as experienced by the "walkie Talkie" building in London and also when viewing through adjacent panes, the view could be non continuous due to lens effects. This would make the view jump in steps as the observer passed each frame section.

Bob

Well, I've done my best. I've been pointing our the issues of the upstairs windows from day one. I have tried umpteen variations on flat pieces of glass, probably 5 or 10 for every one shown on here. I have drawn up their own ideas (none of which could work). They have done the research and come up with the curved glass thing, so I'll give it a go. I don't think they've yet understood all the implications, despite me advocating flat glazing from the beginning for a variety of reasons.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2016, 12:26

How does all this design work get paid? Are you on an hourly rate or do the clients pay for each new drawing or is it just a lump sum on completion? Not trying to pry and I don't want to know the details but each one of these drawings/renderings cannot be cheap to produce.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 17 Jan 2016, 12:28

Mike G wrote:
9fingers wrote:I wonder if you might be best steering away from curved windows- not just on cost grounds

Bob

Well, I've done my best. I've been pointing our the issues of the upstairs windows from day one. I have tried umpteen variations on flat pieces of glass, probably 5 or 10 for every one shown on here. I have drawn up their own ideas (none of which could work). They have done the research and come up with the curved glass thing, so I'll give it a go. I don't think they've yet understood all the implications, despite me advocating flat glazing from the beginning for a variety of reasons.

OK Apologies Mike - not trying to teach Grandma.....

The customer is always right - as long as the designer covers his backside :lol:

I spent all my working life at the research end of an R&D organisation. Sometimes we just had to build a mock up of the customers ideas to prove to them that the laws of physics can rarely be broken.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2016, 14:11

Andyp wrote:How does all this design work get paid? Are you on an hourly rate or do the clients pay for each new drawing or is it just a lump sum on completion? Not trying to pry and I don't want to know the details but each one of these drawings/renderings cannot be cheap to produce.

I gave them a lump-sum figure for the two packages: Planning, and Working Drawings/ Building Regs. I allowed for a lot of design work in the Planning phase. I won't be administering the contract, so there is no fee for that. The guy who is doing the rendering of my models gave them (direct) an estimate for his work, and we're still within that budget. He just updates every now and then ("We're up to about £X").
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2016, 14:11

9fingers wrote:......OK Apologies Mike - not trying to teach Grandma.....

I didn't construe it that way at all, so no need for apologies. :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2016, 14:12

Mike G wrote:
Andyp wrote:How does all this design work get paid? Are you on an hourly rate or do the clients pay for each new drawing or is it just a lump sum on completion? Not trying to pry and I don't want to know the details but each one of these drawings/renderings cannot be cheap to produce.

I gave them a lump-sum figure for the two packages: Planning, and Working Drawings/ Building Regs. I allowed for a lot of design work in the Planning phase. I won't be administering the contract, so there is no fee for that. The guy who is doing the rendering of my models gave them (direct) an estimate for his work, and we're still within that budget. He just updates every now and then ("We're up to about £X").

BTW, my fees are dwarfed by those of the structural engineer on this job.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 18 Jan 2016, 17:56

Mike G wrote:I suspect that we could be talking an extra £50,000 or so...

That's chump change! :shock:

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2016, 19:20

There has been a lot of evolution of this project, and we're nearly there now with the design. Just a couple of decisions still to make, and in particular, a choice for what crowns the whole building. I prefer the subtler version with the tilted disc, but my clients like the Sydney Opera House version. I think it's too tall.

Anyway, we have brought the basement half a storey out of the ground, and made it circular, put the guest bedrooms down there, and given the entirety of the top floor over to a single master suite, open plan. The roof windows have all been calmed down a bit, and the roof, instead of sitting on the lower frame, now overhangs everything and sweeps down to the ground. There are a couple of nice little architectural "jokes" to keep everyone amused, one of which you can't really see in these images.......but I'll let you guess anyway:).

Note the underground garage (well, strictly, earth-bermed, not underground).

And the alternative crown:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 May 2016, 19:31

I'm with your clients, I'm afraid, Mike. The second version looks like a helipad!
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2016, 19:38

:lol: You're probably right, Roger.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 May 2016, 19:44

Jeez! Those images look like you've built it already. Stunning. I also prefer the opera house
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Tusses » 27 May 2016, 21:17

Just seen this thread .. very interesting ! and will be watching :-)

as the the Opera house .. I see it more like an Oast House type top
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2016, 21:20

Tusses wrote:....as the the Opera house .. I see it more like an Oast House type top

Yep, that's the rationale on the Design and Access Statement. But it's a bit post-hoc (we came up with the shape, then realised what it looked a bit like).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 27 May 2016, 22:39

First one for me too.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 29 May 2016, 11:39

I'm with the client on the top as well Mike.

But whilst it looks very nice overall, the problem for me is that I saw the original design which I think is much better. I appreciate that raising up half a storey is probably much better practically but for me personally it is a step backwards aesthetically. Still I am not paying for it and nor will I live in it so I guess I look at it through an idealised lens, I guess the design process must be all about taking a pure concept and making it work on a day-to-day basis for the ultimate owner.

For me though there is one thing that absolutely needs to be sorted, that little balcony in the roof which I guess serves the master suite. I'm afraid it looks to my eye rather like it was installed by the local loft conversion outfit.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Sep 2016, 11:48

Any progress on this Mike..?

My view, for what it's worth, I like the opera house option. The disc looks to me like an airfield air traffic control tower.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 08 Sep 2016, 12:56

There's a Planning Application in at the moment, with the Sydney Opera House version. I doubt we'll get permission initially, but we've got a chance at appeal.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Sep 2016, 13:48

Good stuff, good luck.

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 18 Jan 2017, 19:30

Things have moved on......

There are no longer any straight lines anywhere on the exterior of the building. We're about to resubmit the Planning Application having withdrawn the last one to absorb their comments. That was a pre-planned ploy.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 18 Jan 2017, 19:39

I was wondering about this one ! ...

it is a fascinating design task .

My 1st thoughts of the new top, is it looks like one of those spinney chimeny tops ? sorry ..

Can't wait to see more progress though :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP