It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:24

Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Jan 2016, 10:38

Phil wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Great progress Dan

Looking forward to the roofing. Plenty of pics of that please as I will be doing mine myself so everything from battens to layout to slating please! ;)

Cheers
Mark

Mark, what happened to the thread where you laying the foundation? :D

Cheers
Phil

I'm eschewing walls now and going with an open air oak framed affair with a roof!

No that starts as soon as I can get near the work area without sinking up to my knees in mud...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dan0741 » 16 Jan 2016, 21:39

Whilst undertaking this build I have tried to learn as much about the different processes trades etc as I can; but to be honest my wood knowledge is quite limited. :oops: I came across a piece of larch feather edge today and saw a distinct differentiation between the red larch colour and a greyer part along one side.

The options I considered were rot, sapwood or a staining from something. All the rest doesn't have any of this so I haven't used the board just in case its longevity is questionable for some reason.

What is it? :eusa-doh:
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Postby Rod » 16 Jan 2016, 22:19

It looks like weathering - an edge that's been exposed to sunlight, rain etc.
Perhaps poking out of the stack?
Untreated/painted Larch goes grey with age so nothing to worry about I think.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2016, 00:55

Sunlight rather than rain. That's it's natural reaction to UV light, and it will soon be 100% uniform grey if left all exposed to the sun.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 17 Jan 2016, 00:57

Cheers Gents - will use it tomorrow! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 08 Mar 2016, 13:54

Hi Dan,

Since joining the forum I thought I should stop in and say hello. I read your thread end to end one night with much interest and it was one of the reasons I decided to join this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge on the site and the contributors seem to devote lots of time to helping and encourgaging others, which is more than I can say for some other forums I frequent!

I must say your work is great quality and reading your early posts you sound a lot like me - I like to think and plan things too, but don't have a huge amount of practical experience! I'm hoping that my endless capability for over thinking things doesn't get in the way of actually building something as I obsess over millimetres here or there, although my project isn't nearly as impressive.

Anyway good luck with the remainder of the build and I look forward to seeing more updates!

Cheers

David
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 08 Mar 2016, 21:19

Dave - Good to hear from you. I look forward to reading yours and seeing how you get on. Funnily enough whilst the technical knowledge available here is formidable, and also a reason I joined; that is not the aspect I have found the most use. For an enthusiastic amateur like me a build like this is quite an undertaking. I say that knowing that its all scalable, I have a mate who runs a project management operation in Dubai knocking out shopping centres and hotel complexes with seemingly little effort.

The aspect I have really benefited from is the support and encouragement of others who have the experience elements that I lack. For example I struggled for some time with a can of expanding foam tying to execute a neat bead before a patient soul pointed out that a spray gun from screw-fix resolves the problem. There have been countless other examples, some I have asked directly, others I have picked up from digesting others threads. Mike's and Terry's were the two examples I followed but I have read others that have helped me along the way.

I don't think an obsession for accuracy is a bad thing at all, I was astounded how vertical and horizontal everything was when I finished screwing the wall framing together. It has also made the following elements easier, the roof for example.

I have had a hiatus with mine given that on the outside I'm just waiting for the weather to put membrane battens and slates on. Its helped as I have started a new job so some time to ponder has been of benefit.

I didn't believe those that told me that the winter is a bad time to be building, again they were right!

Keep up the momentum and you will soon be standing inside it gawping round proud as punch of your build! :lol:

Dan
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Chris Bates » 14 May 2016, 08:25

Hello Dan,

I've recently joined Woodhaven 2 as I've recently started construction of a shed for workshop use based on Mike G's original design.

Firstly I'm impressed with yours, looks like a quality job.

Can I please ask about your DPC and it's folding up around the frame externally. I understand the principles of why this is done. You appear to bring the DPC out to the edge of the brickwork and then fold it back on itself before fixing to the frame.

Is this correct ?

How did you fold it back on itself? Did you use some sort of former ? As I recall this stuff cannot be folded easily.

Thanks

Chris
Chris Bates
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 14 May 2016, 18:25

Hi Chris,

Hope all is going to plan with yours!

I followed Mikes basic plan with a few amendments that I needed to make for various reasons. The DPC was virtually exactly as per Mikes plan. If you follow Mikes workshop thread on here you will see that Mike takes you through that part in minute detail, clearly as its a part that one could get wrong easily.

Have a gander at that and see if it clarifies your queries.

I did do it as per your question, forming it using an arris (angled piece of timber). You will see in Mikes Photos this in action. Just be careful where you put staples as you could ruin all your good work! I nearly managed it with a hot piece of threaded rod that burnt through the DPC!

If this still isn't clear let me know matey,

Dan :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 23 May 2016, 21:33

So some time has elapsed since I last posted any progress, but I think its fair to say im a fair weather builder! In honesty there is no fun in messing about in the snow so I didn't bother!

Ive also been busy with a job change and lots of other nonsense so heres what ive been up to in the last few weeks.

Some will remember the horrible climbing frame that was left intact in front of the shed, well that is now gone, all the poles dug out with a lump of concrete on the end of each one, lots of work and sweat but got there in the end. There was also about 5 tonnes of soil to flatten that had come out of the soakaway at that location. This first photo is just for comparison as to whats moved...

The plan was to grass it but when my wife suggested some decking I thought that it wasn't a bad idea, its facing a different direction to the patio so between them we should have somewhere to sit in the sun all day long. Last job on the list though.

Ive also done lots of research and planning re a wood burning stove. Its been one of the bits that I am most looking forward to. But I cant afford the thousands that a HETAS install would be, so its going to have to be little old me with a HETAS 'connect up' at the end.

The hole in the roof is the only visual change re the wood burner, but believe me it taken quite a bit of working out to get it right. Ive essentially done none of the actual work but planned it out fully, and given that I am roofing, I needed to cut the hole through the roof and when I lay the slates I will be installing a gasket for the stove pipe in the roof.

Its actually quite difficult to cut a hole in the roof. First one has to work out how big it needs to be. 6 inch twin wall is actually 8 inches across plus clearance from combustibles, and then trying to work out the shape of the oval created when a circle passes through an angled plane.....very difficult; eventually stumbled across a website that would calculate the oval/ellipse for me. Then trying to print it out at 100% on A3 as a template was actually quite complicated, but all done now, and when viewed from directly above is indeed a circle.

I have since framed the hole so its rock solid sturdy enough and the lead flashing with gasket will be supported all around.

The eagle eyed will be able to spy the short piece of twin wall that is poking out of the hole, its old used twin wall that I was considering reusing, but think I will go for new.

Its an interesting dilemma trying to work this out to be planning/regs complaint as far as height goes. 4m total limit to permitted development and part J guidance to be 4m over the height of the stove! (I will work something out ;) )

Anyway the main event in the offing is the roofing, Ive ordered 700 slates, and 16 ridge caps, a dry ridge system and a load of battening screws and copper clout nails.

The cheeky monkeys sent me 50 odd slates short and a broken ridge cap, so the following day another pallet arrived with the remaining lot after me moaning about it. Joking aside its easy to safely assume that one gets what one ordered but experience has taught me to double check everything, the person at the supplier end promised me that they had been triple counted and that they were all there......its only that given my inexperience with this I may need every one, and I had paid for them.

So first job was waiting for a day with no wind no rain and a mate on hand to help, this didn't materialize so I got on with it on my lonesome. Hard work with a long sheet of membrane, I nearly paraglided off the roof a few times...but with a staple gun and some perseverance I got the first sheet on.

I then started to get the battening on bit by bit. Ive watched every video on youtube that relates to slating a roof, there is a cracking one with a fella from Leicester who makes everything look really easy.

I haven't laid the slate yet, but I'm hoping the complicated bit is done by working out the batten spacing.

I basically worked up from the roof bottom, with a 2 inch overhang into my guttering and a row of eaves slates which I will have to cut myself. You can buy them, as you can slate and a halfs' but the cost starts to spiral. I'm happy cutting them myself. I just might have to take a bit longer. My slate cutter has a handy slate punch also. Its imperative apparently that I punch instead of drill as this apparently leaves a sort of countersink to hide clout nail head.

I previously posted a mock up of a bit of roof with the batten spacings worked out. I took all this apart and remade it with the new slates so that should they be a different size, the spacings were accurate. I then made a couple of templates so I didn't need to measure. From the bottom up one needs a batten for the eaves course, a batten next to it for the first full course and then evenly spaced up to the ridge. The last batten needs to be within 2-3 inches of the ridge. On here will sit the last row of ridge slates. This then means that ones ridge cap will span the distance across the two sides. I need to add a couple of battens on the top of the ridge to support the ridge caps and give something to screw into.

So the battening is finished, on both sides and im happy with it. EXCEPT... I made one major cock up, and I am so frustrated that I did it as it would have been so easy to have got it right. When I was working out the edge detail, so that the battens finish an inch or so back from the edge so as not to blow mortar when wet or similar... I measured an inch back from the edge of the building, but I should have measured an inch back from the edge of the undercloaking!!! So they are all about 2 inches too short. I cant tell you how irritated I was. I know this doesn't sound much of a drama, but im conscious that at the edge there will be some half-slates that are against the edge so ive only got 125mm to nail to the batten that is too short.

Really frustrated... So remedy's welcome. All I can think of is to run a piece of batten along the edge from top to bottom that may just give me enough to put a clout nail into and keep the half slate stable.

Ive since done the undercloaking, and it worked fine, slates snipped in half, and then battens screwed down to hold them tight.

The photos were difficult given the suns position, but can take more when I get time.

So thats where im up to. I need to work out how many battens go on the ridge, work out how far up I need to move the facia's, work out a remedy for the gable edge batten shortage, and then pop the slates on!

I did have one moment of satisfaction, I had to take the corner posts off to cut them to correct length. And I caught sight of this...

Which is not a view ive had before, but shows exactly the spacing I was looking for between the respective boards and the fixing, also the painted end grain....quite sad I know, but satisfying nonetheless! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 23 May 2016, 22:11

Oh very nice, Dan. Very nice.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 27 May 2016, 21:56

That cladding is absolutely spot on Dan, so good its like an optical illusion! Can't offer any advice on the battens sadly, but i'm looking forward to the solution and seeing the roof - slate is a lovely material.
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 04 Aug 2016, 22:15

Apologies for delays...So to bring us up to speed a bit...

Undercloaking.....

Ive added the undercloaking now and install was exactly as per Mikes roof, I understand that there are several ways to do this, and if the undercloak/mortar fillet doest survive given no key on the slate for the mortar, I will have to rework it. The chicken wire suggestion to assist it all holding together seems a no-brainer though and if I was going again I would have used this tip. I will wait and see. For some reason I omitted to take photo's of this stage. At least I cant find any at the mo. Oh Heres one... The vertical batten is a resolution to a cock up. I cut my battens based on the edge of the building with no boards on, the when i put boards on they were too short!

Ive boarded the gable ends now, was able to do this once the undercloak was sorted to give me an edge to work to...

Same process as before and now all done! :D

So this is what it looks like when ready to start the slating.

To be truthful whilst i have done ok on this it isn't a work of perfection. Also I bought relatively cheap slates and they were difficult to fit well given they were of very different thicknesses at times and also many have a curve on them so making them sit well is hard.

I wanted the traditional product, and obviously that comes with problems. The worst case scenario is new roof in a few years which isn't the end of the world. If i did it again it would be plain tiles.

But when all said and done its on and finished and watertight! :D

So one has to work out the number of slates one needs for the length of the roof aspect and also the height. Its quite obvious how this is done really, you just work out how many slates one can fit on the roof with a 3 mm gap between each one. You do need an overlap each end and about 50 mm suited me. But its really just a few mins with a calculator first and then a trial run with the slates son the roof.

With the batten gauge this is worked out with your slates. Basically the holes are punched in a certain place and one needs to cover the holes with the slate above. This video was the one I followed, and it seems i am not the only one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNmB5y4gmq4

I stacked all my slates up first then started the graft...

I don't by the way gents recommend doing this off a ladder....

I did as was suggested - completed the first side up to the ridge and basically finished. Then worked on the other side to within about 4 slate rows of the top ridge.

This is the aperture for my Flue and the extra wood (battens) around the hole is purely to give me a firm base for the gasket that I used - nailed to the woodwork. This is what I used, but didn't buy it from them.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burn ... shing.html

I tidied this up before I slated!

Then it was ridge time...

I bought a dry ridge system...

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/pro ... -pack.html

I then started to work along the ridge. Apologies for the pictures not sure what occurred to camera!

Then ridge tiles on top. Ive got to say, even for someone who hasn't done this before the ridge isn't complicted.

and all finished!

After doing the roof I have neatened up the drainage chanel behind and to the sides of the shed. There is a french drain in the bottom of this chanel. This is basically a very short retaining wall but ensures the edge wont "fray" if you know what I mean.

I still have some of these to do at the sides but have run out of sleepers at the mo!

Ive done the guttering now on both sides, and very stupidly this is the only photo I have - will get another tomorrow.

And finally for this post - I have built a drain for the water from the gutter. The intention here is to store this water somehow but clearly i need a method for getting rid of excess. This is basically a black tube full of large diameter gravel, that goes down to the french drain, and then to the soakaway. We have had a few days of rain and sad i know but i have stood out there in the rain with a brolly and watched it work perfectly.

So im almost done on the outside. I have been giving it a further coat of paint - hate painting, and then I need to install the power cable at both ends house/shed and do the power layout in the shed, and the lights and the internal cladding and on and on...seems never ending....... :eusa-dance:

Thanks for reading folks :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 04 Aug 2016, 22:25

Bravo! Roof looks fab Dan and really neat / symmetrical too. It shows that you put a lot of care into that roof
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Aug 2016, 22:27

Nice job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Aug 2016, 23:14

WooHoo, looks great Dan :eusa-dance: :eusa-clap:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 04 Aug 2016, 23:33

Well done looks good!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 05 Aug 2016, 22:02

Just a few shots that i had omitted...

The guttering and down pipes are now sorted...

And the drainage ditch at the rear is also now finished.

Corner Posts Tomorrow! :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Rod » 05 Aug 2016, 22:03

Looking good

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 10 Sep 2016, 23:40

So a couple of unrelated aspects of this build...

Firstly I have been struggling for room given I have a 4 m long bench.

I made it very quickly to use to cut all the 4 meter long FE I installed. I have disassembled and rebuilt now about 2 m long.

Much better and now have access to the single front door which is my next job...I made it without sash clamps and now need to remake given sunlight pouring through... :oops:

It made me think, I have been busy using my bench and found that one of the very useful aspects of it is that as it was only a couple of old 6x2's I was happy screwing things to it. I have found this very useful, for example making a frame to hold the ridge tiles when I had to cut them and also some large ceramic pipes but this has been a regular thing and something i have found useful. But I have been admiring a very beautiful bench https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCuvdv8FO54 and been wondering how long it would be before i could come up with a poor mans version...

Am I alone in this? It just seems that actually a bench that one can 'use' in this way seems more useful?
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 10 Sep 2016, 23:50

So I have yet to connect my power each end. The end nearest the house needs to go under the patio round a corner and up a wall....this is my excavations that will enable me to do this. I am going to put the patio back only roughly as its going to be completely redone next year.

It rained all day and now its like a little wildlife pool; :shock: ho hum the forecast is good....should be dry by Monday night and I will dig the rest out.... :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Dan0741 » 10 Sep 2016, 23:58

A quick question if anyone can help...

I have bought this to warm my bones in the winter. It virtually unused but has been sitting in a damp shed and there is some surface rust. I would like to spray paint with some Matt back Hi temp stove paint but need to prep the steel first.

Its steel instead of the more usual cast iron. Any suggestions for how I change this rust box to a gleaming stove gratefully received. :eusa-doh:
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 11 Sep 2016, 08:07

Great stuff Dan. The roof looks great (I want to see the verge detail, when you're done). As to the bench question.........I am absolutely 100% with you on the cheap and cheerful approach. Something that will take loads of abuse, and that you don't have to be precious about. I can't understand how people work on something that looks like their dining table, all mirror-flat and perfectly finished!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby ScotlandtheDave » 11 Sep 2016, 08:42

Looking good Dan, I'll be keen to see how you tackle the doors as that will soon be my next priority!
ScotlandtheDave
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 11 Sep 2016, 09:08

Nice and sunny now so hopefully your ground will dry out quickly.
I use an ex school bench bought 30 odd years ago for £20.
Paul Sellers has done some videos for constructing a similar one - give it a Google.
For the rust, wire brush or some wet and dry should remove it

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds