It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:55

Barrister Bookcases - construction snapshots.

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Barrister Bookcases - construction snapshots.

Postby 9fingers » 22 Aug 2015, 20:57

A lot of the recent work on the project has been routine assembly of rail and stile panels with veneered mdf fields and not really worthy of writing up. Progress has been limited to the available surface area and the number of clamps.

I now have 16 tops/bottoms like this

And 16 ends like this

The next job was to set up the dado head to cut the grooves in all pieces to hold the rear panel for each bookcase. This will be a simple piece of veneered mdf.

I don’t care what anyone says a dado is far quicker than a router to cut 8mm wide 10mm deep grooves is they can be done in a single pass. About 30 seconds per item so 16 minutes max for 32 pieces. Bang bang bang.

Next a shallow relief is needed on the underside of top front edge of each bookcase to allow the corner of the door to pass when changing from horizontal to vertical when closing (and opening!)
This is simply a few offset passes with a ball ended cutter in the router table to give a relief 22mm wide and about 4mm deep.

The photo also shows a slight cockup that happened on some panels, The joints are tight on the outside but a few gaps in the inside. I selected these for the top panels so will be difficult to see on the final items.

Each end panel needs a recess to take the brass runners. The one in the photo is a runner from the prototype and is 18mm longer than the ones for the final design.

The requirement is for a blind ended groove ½” x ½” and a 1/16” deep along side to accept the brass runner.

This is done on the router table in three passes (2 for the ½” deep part) and the work piece is run between two stops on the table.

Note that the stops are raised off the table to allow any sawdust to pass underneath and not affect the accuracy of the positioning.

The panel is carefully placed on to the ½” bottom cutting cutter and run between the right and left stops and lifted off carefully all the time keeping pressure against the fence.

A small amount of work with a chisel will square off the ends to match the angle when I fit them.

A little bit more to do on the panels for the other end (they are handed) and then mass cutting of half blind dovetails to hold the bookcases together next week before going on holiday under instruction from SWMBO.

Thanks for looking.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Barrister Bookcases - construction snapshots.

Postby Rod » 22 Aug 2015, 21:23

There seems to be a colour difference between the panels and frames - are you going to try to match them?

Have thought about filling the gaps with sawdust and glue?

Nice to see it coming along.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 Aug 2015, 21:34

Thanks Rod.

They will be stained to a medium oak colour thus masking the differences. The panels have been sorted so the exposed surfaces of each book case matches as close as possible. Each bookcase can be different colour and make them all the more authentic as in practise they would have been acquired one at a time.
I will experiment with filler but in the past when using stains, I've found it can make the filler very visible due to differential adsorption of the dyes in the stain.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby chataigner » 24 Aug 2015, 07:59

9fingers wrote:Thanks Rod.

They will be stained to a medium oak colour thus masking the differences. The panels have been sorted so the exposed surfaces of each book case matches as close as possible. Each bookcase can be different colour and make them all the more authentic as in practise they would have been acquired one at a time.
I will experiment with filler but in the past when using stains, I've found it can make the filler very visible due to differential adsorption of the dyes in the stain.

Bob

Using sawdust and glue, with the sawdust from the same board, usually works rather well for colour match even allowing for finish absorbtion differences due to the glue. The trick seems to be to minimise the glue. When first trying it I made a sort of paste, but that wont absorb finish. Much less glue works fine, I put glue in the crack, then rub sawdust into it.

Not that I ever have any gaps to fill of course.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Andyp » 24 Aug 2015, 12:38

Progress indeed. Must be quite hard to work around all the components but very satisfying to see a huge pile of identical pieces waiting for the nest stage. Bet you wish you had a Maskery size workshop?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 24 Aug 2015, 13:32

Yes More workspace/surfaces would be handy but I'm just about coping with the parts to make 8 bookcases in a batch. SWMBO is being very tolerant about various other "stock" in the hall and one bedroom!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 25 Aug 2015, 21:35

All looking really good Bob, but it is really clear you have taken on a big project here!

9fingers wrote:Image

I don’t care what anyone says a dado is far quicker than a router to cut 8mm wide 10mm deep grooves is they can be done in a single pass. About 30 seconds per item so 16 minutes max for 32 pieces. Bang bang bang.

Yet to be brave enough to pop the dado cutter on my table saw, but the day can't be far away. I was wondering what the large cut out to the left of the blade is for?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 25 Aug 2015, 21:45

I have a selection of sacrificial inserts that start off in life as blanks and gradually get eaten away.
Each is 12mm birch ply ( phenolic resin coated in my case but could be just waxed) with small woodscrews on the underside to set the insert level with the table surface
Each is reversible to get more use out of them and the wide slot you see there is when I had the whole stack fitted.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 15 Dec 2015, 22:46

Just when you thought I'd stopped rabbiting on about these bookcases --- here I go again. Hope it is still of interest.....

Holidays and other distractions have got in the way a bit and I've been a bit absent-minded about taking photos.

First there was a big batch of metal work to make all the slides from a huge pack of 1/2"x 1/2" brass angle, 3/8" steel rod made into 60 bearing holders and the bought in miniature roller bearings.

All assembled

Back to some woodwork.
All the panels to assemble 7 cabinets were given a first coat of medium oak stain. In the past I've had problems with tiny areas of glue getting missed when cleaning up and only becoming visible when staining after gluing. This time it is stain first then glue. In order to get virgin wood for the glue up, the staining was done before the dovetails were cut.

7 cabinets, 4 panels each, 4 tails and 4 sockets for each joint. So that was 112 tails and 112 sockets.
The only way to do these in my book of course is a precision dovetail jig such as the Leigh. It is joy to use and everything fits so well.
To relieve the load on the tapered dovetail cutter, I hogged out most of the waste with a 1/2" straight cutter running in a 17mm bush followed up with the DT cutter in the standard 7/16" Leigh bushing. Two routers set up with the cutters and locked solid keeps the accuracy right across the batch.

Sorry no photos of the 2 foot high stack of panels with all the DTs cut ready for assembly.

Here is one cabinet in the clamps whilst the glue goes off including the use of my home made right angle clamping block. In virtually all cases they did not have much work to do as the joints pulled up nice and square.

A quick close up on a recent birthday present - am I really that arrogant? :lol:

It has been bad enough finding space to store the component parts so far but now the assembly run is producing serious volume to store.
Our lounge - where they will reside eventually does have space but some idiot - my dear wife - has erected a Christmas tree in the space so the cabinets are being stacked in the hallway. Sorry about the photo quality.

The next stage will be a detailed check over, a few more light touches with a block plane and then fitting of the doors and the running gear.

Thanks for looking.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 15 Dec 2015, 23:41

Great WIP Bob :text-goodpost: :eusa-clap:

When you get a door fitted and working would love to see a short video!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 16 Dec 2015, 08:18

Cracking progress Bob. What stops the cabinets sliding off of each other? Weight? Or are there some locating pins?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 16 Dec 2015, 09:48

Andyp wrote:Cracking progress Bob. What stops the cabinets sliding off of each other? Weight? Or are there some locating pins?

Nothing at the moment Andy but I have a cunning plan, currently residing between my ears!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Dec 2015, 09:57

Wizard9999 wrote:Great WIP Bob :text-goodpost: :eusa-clap:

When you get a door fitted and working would love to see a short video!

Terry.

Thanks Terry. The correct action for the doors will only work with the glass fitted as the weight is designed to hold the door in the closed position. I will be waiting until all the cabinets are finished before ordering the beveled glass. I'm possibly less than a third through the whole project.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Commander » 17 Dec 2015, 07:04

Very nice Bob, I would also love to see the doors in action, but I'm prepared to wait for it.... :eusa-whistle: :D
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby will1983 » 12 Jan 2016, 16:48

Nice job, i like barrister style bookcases. Also like your homemade corner clamping blocks, I should make some..

Just our of interest is the solid wood used for the styles and rails oak?
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 Jan 2016, 18:50

will1983 wrote:Nice job, i like barrister style bookcases. Also like your homemade corner clamping blocks, I should make some..

Just our of interest is the solid wood used for the styles and rails oak?

Thanks Will,

The timber is ash - stained medium oak. The panel fields are ash veneered MDF.
I think the ash has a bit more interesting grain without the cost of QS oak which is another favourite.

I must get back on this job - I've had a series of distractions since Christmas.....

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 12 Jan 2016, 19:39

9fingers wrote:I must get back on this job

:text-+1: :lol:

I remain keen to see these working!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 12 Jan 2016, 19:59

Fear not Terry! I will be back on these soon. Trimming the doors to fit, completing the staining and then applying finish. Goin to be quite a low process as I have only the room to work on one at a time and there are 7 in this batch. This is less than half the total with many of the remainder being special variants on the theme to provide TV & Video, a drinks cupboad, a couple of drawers etc all in the same style but not necessarily with the up and over door in every case.

In the intervals whilst surfaces dry etc, I will be doing the metalwork for my elevating storage stand for the new thicknesser.
The mechanical design is there with some detailling left to do dependent on bought in components that are gradually arriving from Uk, China and the Netherlands and then I have a whole load of machining to do.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby fiveeyes » 15 Jan 2016, 04:44

Message from the colonies..With having left the grandchildren to their own devices, I am catching up on my stuff. Nicely done sir. Will follow as time permits, as I have 2000 miles yet to travel. bill
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jun 2016, 19:40

I've been trying to find the last place that I posted about my bookcases and I think it was here.
The glass for the first batch arrived about 2 weeks ago and since then any spare moments have been devoted to fitting the glass and then fine tuning the doors to fit the cabinets. I now have seven complete and fitted with LED lights.

The lights are on the inside face of the doors at the top and not visible with the doors open or closed. The electrical connections are made via the door runners and so power is applied to the fixed parts of the runners in the cases via 3mm holes out through the back. A remote control allows then to be switched on and off and dimmed if needed.

I now have one stack of 5 in place on the north wall of the lounge. all that remains is to fit the knobs.
I have not managed to get any decent photos due to reflection in the glass, evening sun streaming in through the adjacent windows etc but here are a few to give the general idea.

and with the lights on

I have also been working on the components for another set of three. Two of these will be taller to take larger books and one more the same height as the others to complete two stacks of 5.

Here you seem me applying a little QA inspection as my wife sneaked up on me to take the photo.

And here are the components to assemble batch no 2

The first one is now in the clamps but you have seen pictures of that before. Lots of repetition in this project and I'll try not to bore you all rigid.

Cheers

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 08 Jun 2016, 20:14

nice work Bob .. and yes, I love my Dado set too :-)

I'm sure the case is not really that orange ! :shock:

it will be good to see it filled with books !

Thanks for posting the WIP's :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jun 2016, 20:27

Tusses wrote:nice work Bob .. and yes, I love my Dado set too :-)

I'm sure the case is not really that orange ! :shock:

it will be good to see it filled with books !

Thanks for posting the WIP's :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Thanks for the comments Tusses.

The orange comes from the curtains drawn to keep the sun glare out. The first photo is the nearest to actual colour which is medium oak stain on ash.

The rest of the lounge furniture has to be built yet, then new carpets and then the bookcases will be filled.

I have just gone one better than the dado head and bought a Craftsman moulding head for my saw.
For those whose bowels are affected by use of dado blades - you really really won't like this beast! :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 08 Jun 2016, 20:32

9fingers wrote:I have just gone one better than the dado head and bought a Craftsman moulding head for my saw.
For those whose bowels are affected by use of dado blades - you really really won't like this beast! :lol:

Bob

:-)

I have the Wadkin AGS 10
and the manual shoaws dado and moulding heads in use :-)
I have no fear of them at all .. I love the quiet whisper they give when spun up .

I have bought a spindle moulder .. not set up yet due to space, but I guess when it's working , it will be the best of both worlds .. although I use the TS for just about everything .. and everything it's not supposed to be used for ! lol
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jun 2016, 20:41

Tusses wrote:
9fingers wrote:I have just gone one better than the dado head and bought a Craftsman moulding head for my saw.

Bob

:-)

I have the Wadkin AGS 10
and the manual shoaws dado and moulding heads in use :-)
I have no fear of them at all .. I love the quiet whisper they give when spun up .

I have bought a spindle moulder .. not set up yet due to space, but I guess when it's working , it will be the best of both worlds .. although I use the TS for just about everything .. and everything it's not supposed to be used for ! lol

Good Man!
I plan to use the moulding head on both the saw and the spindle.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby kirkpoore1 » 09 Jun 2016, 03:37

9fingers wrote:
I have just gone one better than the dado head and bought a Craftsman moulding head for my saw.

Bob

Bob, I know of people who have used those heads. Heck, I even have one. (Or at least had one. I'm not sure it survived the recent purge in my garage. I might have given it to my ex-wife when I delivered the small RAS to her as part of the divorce settlement.) Frankly, I'm not man enough to use it. There is a whole lot of exposed blade on those, and they give me the heebee-jeebies just thinking about them. Not because I'm gong to push my hand into it, but because I'm afraid that they will take too big a bite of the work and explode things.

I would strongly caution you against using one sized for TS/RAS use on a shaper (spindle molder). A TS is turning much slower than a shaper, and the tip speed on those cutters when turning at 10,000 rpm (or even 7,000 rpm) is ... disturbing.

Delta made similar but smaller head for use on shapers. Here's mine:
The head itself is about 2-1/2" in diameter with a 3/4" bore. The cutter currently installed gives a tip diameter of about 3-1/2"

The cutters are still made by a company called Corob. You can find the heads on fleabay, for instance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Delta-Rockwell-Molding-Heads-Cutters-Shaper-Blades-Table-Saw-radial-arm-/291772654294?hash=item43ef0162d6:g:xvgAAOSwxehXO4AP
Note the difference in size--the little ones are like mine, the bigger ones are like your Craftsman head, except more substantially built.

Kirk
Last edited by kirkpoore1 on 09 Jun 2016, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Next

Return to Projects & WIP