It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:33

Another gate

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Another gate

Postby mailee » 07 Oct 2015, 21:47

I got another fill in job yesterday for a gate. I must be getting good at these as this one only took me an afternoon to complete. :D
I shall be fitting it next week along with hanging two doors. :D
mailee
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Another gate

Postby Phil » 10 Oct 2015, 07:51

Alan looks good. Your speed and quality of work is impressive.

I would spend a week thinkng about it, 6 weeks planning and six months building :oops:

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 10 Oct 2015, 11:08

Phil wrote:Alan looks good. Your speed and quality of work is impressive.

I would spend a week thinkng about it, 6 weeks planning and six months building :oops:

Cheers
Phil

Which would be about 4 months quicker than me. :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Oct 2015, 00:36

Cheers
Phil

A man after my own heart!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Commander » 30 Oct 2015, 05:25

TrimTheKing wrote:

Cheers
Phil

A man after my own heart!

Cheers
Mark

Sounds all too familiar! :oops:
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby meccarroll » 05 Oct 2016, 14:46

mailee I know this is an old post but you may still pick up this question:

I know your framed gate is relatively straightforward but how do you manage to make a framed gate like this in an afternoon????

I'm only guessing but time wise I'd probably take at least 1/2 hour marking out, 1/2 hour sanding and cleaning, 1/2 hour clamping together, 1/2 hour on mortices, 1/2 hour on tenons, 1 hour fitting the boards, 2 hours machining the timber for framing, 1/2 hour on the spindle for groove to fit boards in. 6 hours in total at least. And that's if everything went well. In reality I'd be lucky to make this in a day.

I just don't know how you do it :text-lol:
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Robert » 05 Oct 2016, 22:21

Hopefully he will see this and reply.

You may have missed this though - viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1893&p=24192#p24192 so the reply may not be immediate if at all.

It would be nice to hear how he is getting on.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby meccarroll » 06 Oct 2016, 08:41

Robert wrote:Hopefully he will see this and reply.

You may have missed this though - viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1893&p=24192#p24192 so the reply may not be immediate if at all.

It would be nice to hear how he is getting on.

I have read the post and it's a shame. Thank you for updating me.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Tusses » 21 Oct 2016, 17:59

meccarroll wrote:mailee I know this is an old post but you may still pick up this question:

I know your framed gate is relatively straightforward but how do you manage to make a framed gate like this in an afternoon????

I'm only guessing but time wise I'd probably take at least 1/2 hour marking out, 1/2 hour sanding and cleaning, 1/2 hour clamping together, 1/2 hour on mortices, 1/2 hour on tenons, 1 hour fitting the boards, 2 hours machining the timber for framing, 1/2 hour on the spindle for groove to fit boards in. 6 hours in total at least. And that's if everything went well. In reality I'd be lucky to make this in a day.

when you do them every other day .. your times are way off !
I'd "raise" your 1/2 hrs to 10 mins ..
Machining? .. bought in at size .. it's just a gate !

I reckon this table took me a day tops (a one off) .. without drying times
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 23 Oct 2016, 08:14

Tusses wrote:
meccarroll wrote:mailee I know this is an old post but you may still pick up this question:

when you do them every other day .. your times are way off !
I'd "raise" your 1/2 hrs to 10 mins ..
Machining? .. bought in at size .. it's just a gate !

I reckon this table took me a day tops (a one off) .. without drying times

Yes I'd agree if you only do joinery occasionally (as I do) it does take longer to think about the processes and do them. My machines still only work at a certain feed rate though no matter how many I do so that can't be changed.

I have used pre machined timber in the past but found it to be very variable in quality of machining, one batch comes it straight the next just about every piece bowed and unusable (even when it's specified for doors). Now I get my own timber and do the machining myself, a lot slower but at least I can use the timber.

Not bad going on that table Tusses.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Oct 2016, 09:29

I agree, Mark, but I think that Tusses point was that it was only a gate and so buying in ready prepared timber is quicker since it doesn't matter if there are small variations in dimension.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 23 Oct 2016, 11:06

RogerS wrote:I agree, Mark, but I think that Tusses point was that it was only a gate and so buying in ready prepared timber is quicker since it doesn't matter if there are small variations in dimension.

I totally agree that using pre machined timber would save me about 1 or 2 hours on making a similar gate.

The trouble I have is there are only two timber merchants that sell joinery grade timber locally. The merchant in my town have in the past sold me second grade timber mixed with joinery and it's been a pain to work with. The best merchant nearest to me is in the next town and when I've ordered pr-machined timber from them in the past it's come in bowed. I could not use bowed timber even for a gate so I select my own and do my own machining.

Maybe I should change my way of doing things.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Oct 2016, 11:56

meccarroll wrote:.....

Mark

I think it depends on what ones' making and ones own philosophy. If I was churning out the same thing day-in-day-out I think I would go the pre-machined route and design the end-product around what was available. Otherwise it would do my head in sending stuff through the thicknesser for ever and a day. Or hand-planing it if you're Woodbloke ;)

If you're making a one-off then there is much more satisfaction in getting it 'just right', proportions etc.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 23 Oct 2016, 12:17

I deliberately didn't mention when I put the table photo ..

it was a 5 pack of softwood for the top and apron .. plastic wrapped from Wickes !
The legs are CLS.
Leg Mortices I did on the CNC - much like you would with a router jig.
Tenons and breadboard edge on the TS

Drawer boxes are ply, and the fronts are plunge cut from the board they fit into.

it was made after watching "Norm" make something similar .. :lol:

I used to make a similar design, but small kitchen table sizes and knock them out for £100 with a finish :o
could easily do a few a day with the finish drying overnight.

With a bigger space, I could probably be quicker.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 23 Oct 2016, 17:30

RogerS wrote:
meccarroll wrote:.....

Mark

I think it depends on what ones' making and ones own philosophy. If I was churning out the same thing day-in-day-out I think I would go the pre-machined route and design the end-product around what was available. Otherwise it would do my head in sending stuff through the thicknesser for ever and a day. Or hand-planing it if you're Woodbloke ;)

If you're making a one-off then there is much more satisfaction in getting it 'just right', proportions etc.

I totally agree with the above Roger.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP